Chapter 10

In the weeks that followed, Bella and I slowly built a friendship that felt as natural as the blooming flowers in Mom's garden. We spent countless hours together, sharing stories and dreams, finding a type of peace in each other's company. The garden became our sanctuary, a place where we could escape the weight of our worries and simply be ourselves.

One evening, as the sky was painted with the warm hues of sunset, Bella and I sat on the stone bench by the fountain, our laughter mingling with the gentle sound of water. She had just finished telling me a particularly funny story about her mischievous dog, and I couldn't help but chuckle at the image.

"You should've seen his face when he realized he was stuck in the garbage can," Bella said, her eyes sparkling with mirth.

"I can imagine," I replied, still grinning. "He sounds like quite the character."

Bella nodded, her smile fading slightly as she looked off into the distance. "I miss him," she admitted softly.

Sensing her sadness, I reached out and gave her hand a reassuring squeeze. "I'm sure he misses you too," I said gently. "But I'm glad we have these moments together."

Bella's eyes met mine, gratitude and warmth reflecting in their depths. "Me too," she said quietly.

***

The next day, as I was rummaging through some old boxes in the attic, I stumbled upon something unexpected. Hidden beneath a pile of dusty books and forgotten trinkets was a small, intricately carved wooden box. Its surface was adorned with delicate patterns that seemed almost otherworldly, and a sense of curiosity tugged at me as I carefully opened it.

Inside, I found an old, yellowed photograph of a young girl who looked remarkably like Bella. She was standing in front of a grand, old house, her smile bright and carefree. Alongside the photograph was a handwritten letter, its ink faded with time. My heart pounded as I began to read:

My dearest Bella,

If you are reading this, then something has gone terribly wrong. There is something you must know about your death. Your father was involved in a scandal with a close friend, George Baird. You probably remember him and his family coming over for dinner a lot. He had been seeking revenge on something your father did, and that led to your death. We are set to move out of this house soon, and if you are still here and reading this letter, I'm sorry for having to leave you.          I love you always.

Yours forever, Mom

I stared at the letter, my mind racing with questions. Bella's death wasn't a suicide? And what did her mother mean by revenge that led to her death? My hands trembled as I carefully placed the letter and photograph back into the box, my heart heavy with the weight of this newfound secret.

I knew I had to tell Bella, but the thought of breaking her heart with this revelation was almost too much to bear. Gathering my courage, I took the box and made my way to the garden, where Bella was waiting for me.

As I approached, she looked up and immediately sensed my distress. "Luke, what's wrong?" she asked, concern etched on her face.

Taking a deep breath, I handed her the box. "I found this in the attic," I said quietly. "It's about you, Bella. And your death."

Bella's eyes widened as she took the box from my hands, her fingers trembling slightly. She opened it and pulled out the photograph and letter, her face growing even more pale as she read the words. When she finished, she looked up at me, tears glistening in her eyes.

"Why didn't I ever find this?" she whispered, her voice shaking. "Why didn't I know?"

I stepped closer, wrapping my arms around her in a comforting embrace. "We'll figure it out together," I promised.

Bella nodded against my shoulder, where I felt that chilling feeling as she touched me. "Thank you, Luke," she said softly. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

***

Dear Max,

I hope you're doing well! Things have been pretty quiet up here in Hartville, but I've been keeping busy. I made a new friend named Bella, and I think she'd fit right in with our group. We've been exploring the town together and learning all about its history.

Your trip to NYC sounds amazing! It must have been really cool to see all those famous places. I'm glad you got to visit your dad's memorial; he was a great guy, and his actions that day were truly heroic.

I've been missing our skateboarding adventures lately. The streets here are much quieter than what we're used to, but Bella and I are finding ways to enjoy the peacefulness. How's everything going with Angela? You two still going strong?

Take care. Can't wait to catch up with you soon.

Your friend, Luke