camp half SUCK

Once Percy stopped tapping Missy over and over  because of the fact that their Latin teacher was a horse, she would like to think they had a rather nice tour

Once Percy stopped tapping Missy over and over because of the fact that their Latin teacher was a horse, she would like to think they had a rather nice tour.

They passed the volleyball pit. A group of people not much older than the two preteens were all gathered around getting water. Several of the campers nudged each other. One specific one, a tall, elfy-looking guy nudged a girl beside him, "That's them."

"Are we famous or feared?" Missy whispered to Percy, "either way, I'm not complaining."

For the most part, all of the campers were older than Them. Their satyr friends were bigger than Grover, all of them trotting around in orange CAMP HALF-BLOOD T-shirts, with nothing else to cover their bare shaggy hindquarters. 

"What's up there?" Percy suddenly asked Chiron.

"Up where?" Missy blinked, and he pointed back to the light blue farmhouse from where they had come from. A eerie lighting came from the very top of the house, a shadow peering from the attic window.

"So" he said with finality. "Not a single living thing"

Missy got the feeling he was being truthful, now, she was  no ghostbuster but something about it just didn't sit right in her stomach, and from the way Percy was looking she was sure he felt the same.

"Come along, kids" Chiron said, his lighthearted tone now a lite forced. "Lots to see."

And so they trudged on.

They marched through the strawberry fields, where campers were picking bushels of berries as a satyr played a tune on a reed pipe. A intimidating looking blonde girl sat between a fierce brunette, Melissa blinked away when they gave her the stink eye.

"I take it back, I hate all the stares." She shifted.

"Y'now you kinda look like that," Percy noticed, looking at the two girls then back at her. "With that eye thing you do."

She tilted her head at him, "eye thing?"

"Like—like when you get all intimidating and scary." He explained, then went on seeing the confusion remain on her face, "after Nancy throws rubber ducks at your hair pretending they're bubbl-"

"Okay! Yeah I know what your referring too," she put a hand to his mouth, trying to stop him from giving any of the people listening in any sort of idea. "You mean my...evil eye?"

He pondered, "mm, yeah that's right, does look pretty evil."

Chiron continued to explain how the camp grew a nice crop for export to New York restaurants and Mount Olympus. "It pays our expenses" he said. "And the strawberries take almost no effort."
He also mentioned Mr. D had this effect on fruit-bearing plants: they just went crazy when he was around. It worked best with wine grapes, but Mr. D was restricted from growing those, so they grew strawberries instead.