𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐈. A GLIMPSE OF US

And the lingering question remains:

If you knew we would end this way,

would you have loved me the same?

ོ༘ ₊ ⁺ ☀︎ ₊⁺⋆.˚

It was common knowledge that Percy Jackson loved Dawn Qiu more than she loved him. No one knew how or when it started, but everyone knew the legendary son of Poseidon bent himself backward for the infamous ice queen of Camp Half-Blood. He was commonly spotted tripping behind Dawn like a lost baby seal, arms spilling with the things she couldn't be bothered to carry as he struggled to match her unpredictable pace. He answered her every tyrannical beck and call without so much as a smile in thanks. Percy never left Dawn's side, never raised his voice, and never, ever argued with her, even in her cruelest moments.

Most thought his devotion to be undeserving. Dawn was a girl of very few kind words and a selfishness that set out to sabotage others. She actively lied and schemed to get her way and no accomplishment, however grand, ever seemed to satisfy her. With a single sharp look, she could silence Percy or use only a harsh murmur of his name to instill his immediate obedience. Everyone who witnessed the couple together would wonder what kind of blackmail or black magic Dawn had on him. They denounced her, speculating how Dawn could be so heartless in mistreating someone who worshipped the very ground she stood upon. They blamed it on her wealthy background as the heiress of the one of the richest investment tycoons in the world. The universe had spoiled her rotten; she was born with so much good luck she took it for granted.

What they didn't know was that Dawn's good luck was running out. Percy was exhausted. How could he not be? He had loved Dawn more than immortality, meaning he was only human. Percy secretly hated Dawn. Somewhere along the blurry lines, she had started treating him more like a servant and less like someone she cared about. Percy stayed up night after night wondering where was the girl he fell for. He was in a relationship with a stranger now, someone he could've but didn't know anymore. Everyday Percy rehearsed with himself on how he was going to break the news. This relationship was drowning him, and the more time he spent with Dawn, the more he resented her.

One of these days Percy swore he was going to do it: he was going to muster up the courage, look Dawn square in the eye, and declare they should break up. And yet every time Percy thought he was ready for that conversation, every time Percy thought he was prepared to rip the bandaid right off, something in him would prevent him from doing so...