FOUR (ISELEN POV)

"Be careful where you put your foot, this is an ice-skating ring," Dakota warns us while looking up, at the crag we're supposed to climb even if we don't have the best equipment to do it. The sunlight doesn't reach this area and the wind is cold, I can't help shuddering despite I'm wearing a thick jacket. "I think we can follow this crack in the rock, it'll make half of our climb easier. Make sure that pitons and cams are securely positioned."

"What are you worried about?" I ask when I realize she's frowning while taking the rope.

"We're wearing thick gloves, good to protect us from cold weather, but we'll lose grip and tactile sense. They'll get wet with sweat and we'll lose heat faster too. In addition to that, we'll spend long periods of time with our arms up and blood circulation will be poor in our hands, which means we'll feel tired and a tingling sensation in our fingers. We must move slowly and paying attention to details to avoid making a mistake our we'll get injured."

"You've heard Dakota, girls," Hanna grumbles quietly checking the carabiner attached to her harness. "Be careful, I don't want to even imagine how hard those idiots from the headquarters will laugh if one of us falls, breaks a leg or an arm and they have to send the local emergency services to rescue us instead of us being the hero rescuers."

"I don't care what those morons think of me," Ruby whispers with contempt getting ready to climb up too.

"They called us whores," the captain replies and we all look at her in shock.

"I beg you pardon?" Tara asks offended.

"There's a small group of men that feels really annoyed because we simply exist, you know. Not like most guys that just ignore us or make fun of us, stupid jokes, I can live with those assholes usually. These others I'm talking about are conservative bigots that feel threaten by intelligent women who can do the job better than they do," Hana snorts angrily. "I have a good ear and heard what they said perfectly clear in the corridors this past week. According to them, we're the dyke version of the Babylon Whore."

"That's great, I love her job," I answer and they all stare at me in disbelief. "What's wrong? She fucks, drinks wine and rides a beast with seven heads. How cool is that?"

"Well, it's unique," Tara admits nodding. "Different and eccentric. I'm talking about the beast, of course, fucking and drinking wine is more common. Do you think the Valkyrie would say yes if I invite her to a French style picnic? A blanket on the grass, baguette, cheese, wine and..."

"Keep dreaming, my friend, but in your free time," I answer laughing. "Now you have to pay attention to what you're doing. We're going to climb up this damned rock."

Dakota hammers the first piton into the wall and keeps moving up, slowly, gritting her teeth, digging her fingertips into the crack and being careful about where she puts her feet. I soon understand what the problem is: our boots are not good to climb up this rock wall. The truth is that we didn't expect to do something like this in this mission and our equipment is pretty basic, the risk of slipping, falling and injuring ourselves is real. While I hear my mates gasping for air due to their effort, I wonder if I didn't act recklessly. I could've called the boss, tell her to warn the local emergency services and move on with our survival drill, trusting that they'd save the hikers.

Although it's true that we're closer, Ruby can help the wounded while we wait for the helicopter to arrive, and maybe we'll save someone's life. The man who's missing because of the avalanche can't wait, we must find him as soon as possible. This is our job, supposedly, we train to help civilians, we can't leave just like that, turning our backs to them. Minutes tick by slowly, my arms hurt and I start sweating under my thick clothes but don't stop and try to focus on my movements.