Chapter 1-5

Chapter 1 Hospital

  In 1976, Qinghe City

  In the dark night, the sound of hurried footsteps could be heard on the street.

  Ruan Yunyun carried the little boy on her back and walked with her head down. Her two pigtails hung in front of her chest, swaying back and forth.

  She pulled one hand out and pushed the flashlight tied to her head upwards, then quickly reached back and hugged the little boy who was sliding down.

  The little boy struggled and pounded Ruan Yunyun's shoulders, "I don't want to see a doctor, I don't want an injection..."

  The little boy was called Doudou, a four-year-old child who had been having a fever for three days. Yunyun took him to get medicine, and the fever finally subsided, but it came back in the evening!

  Seeing Doudou's face flushed with fever, Ruan Yunyun was so anxious that she carried him to the hospital overnight.

  Sweat continued to pour out from her spiky hair, running down her smooth face and dripping onto her neck. But Ruan Yunyun didn't bother to wipe the sweat off her face, she just looked up ahead.

  Now every household in the city has access to electricity, but everyone is reluctant to spend the money on electricity. After eight o'clock in the evening, the whole street becomes pitch black.

  Seeing the faint lights ahead, Ruan Yunyun panted, "Doudou, hold Aunt Yun's neck tightly, we will be at the hospital soon."

  Doudou felt Ruan Yunyun's neck was sweaty and cold, so he unconsciously hugged her neck tightly.

  Although he was sick, he remembered what his grandmother had said and said hoarsely, "Grandma said you are not my mother, you are here to steal my father!"

  Ruan Yunyun felt Doudou's hot body, which was like a freshly cooked egg, and quickly comforted him, "Don't worry, Doudou, your dad will always be your dad, and Aunt Yun will only take care of you together with your dad."

  After saying that, she held Doudou's butt with both hands and ran towards the hospital.

  As for Doudou's words about "stealing dad", Ruan Yunyun just thought it was a child talking nonsense due to a fever and didn't take it seriously.

  Because she was engaged to Doudou's father Li Guohua, and it was Doudou's grandmother Chen Azhen who arranged the relationship.

  Li Guohua was originally an orphan . After marrying , he took over his father-in-law's job and worked as a driver in a transportation factory. He lived and ate at Chen Azhen's house.

  Doudou's grandfather and mother have both passed away, and Chen Azhen is Li Guohua's only elder.

  She arranged Li Guohua's remarriage and was always kind to Ruan Yunyun. She always said that she hoped Ruan Yunyun would marry into the family as soon as possible. It was impossible for her to say such things to Doudou!

  Moreover, when the two families got engaged, Chen Azhen also gave the Ruan family a bicycle ticket and 50 yuan. Such a generous gift is unique in Hexi Village.

  In their village, if someone could come up with 20 yuan to marry a wife, he was considered wealthy, not to mention the bicycle ticket. In the whole village, only the village chief's family had a bicycle, which was quite precious!

  The Ruan family received such a decent gift, and everyone in the village was envious! Some people were so jealous that they said sour words:

  "If my son dares to marry Ruan Yunyun, I will slap him. She has lost her father, her mother is a sickly woman, and she has two little ones to support. Marrying her will cost more food. City people are just stupid and have a lot of money!"