Side Story 1

Wencieli Ledlucite's

A woman once told me...

"I put my daughter in your care, Ciel." as she lightly held my hand and shook it. 

Her name is Dione and she's my mother, the Duchess' friend. The four-year-old version of myself was clueless as to what she meant. No one calls me by that name, is that perhaps a nickname? Until she let me hold her big tummy, I realized that this woman must soon be birthing a baby girl. 

And one summer day, when the butterflies spread their wings to the garden, clouds in the blue sky slowly move towards another direction, and the wind blows generously to the trees...

I finally came to see her. 

My mother and I visit Wefrana to see Dione. She's the Duchess of Wefrana and now she happened to be with a different man she was with before. They called him the Duke of this land. 

"My sister is cute as a rabbit isn't she?" 

A kid? He is taller and looks older than me though. Naglakad ako papunta sa crib para maintindihan ko ang sinasabi niya.

There I saw a small baby wailing as she wanted to reach the toys above her. Tumingin ako sa batang nasa tabi ko, tumango lang siya sa akin kaya naman hindi na ako nagdalawang isip na iabot ang kamay ko sa baby. My eyes widened in awe as she took my index finger, she tightly held it with her whole palm and hand. 

I don't think she's cute.

Her eyes sparkle like a demantoid garnet gemstone. Her smile can bring a daily dose of sunshine. Her cheek is like a soft cloud that I wanted to poke and touch but impossible to reach. Her small hand clings to my finger, it feels so secure that I think her palmprint will remain there forever. I don't think this baby is cute. 

Because that word is not enough to explain how wholesome she is.

I wish I had played with her more that day. I never get to see her again.

Not until that night at the King Wilkerson's grand birthday celebration at the royal castle.

"It is rather surprising to meet you here, Duke Ledlucite." said the Duke of Wefrana. I know him for he is on the top list of my family's enemies. They look casual to each other, now I wonder how adults are good at interacting with the people they hate without spilling blood.

My eyes fall back to the lady right behind the Duke of Wefrana and once again her green eyes pierce through my soul. She looks at me with indifference. I guess it is only I who recognizes her. I just stared at her, hoping to see her smile but it must be too much to hope for. Why do I feel disappointed all of a sudden? 

I found out that night that she was bound to be married to the Crown Prince as she already is Prince Aloysius' fiance. 

Hmm. What a disappointment to see her quarrel with Princess Cerise just for an unworthy-looking boy. I'm nineteen now, old enough to be considered a man. 

Umalis na ako sa loob ng banquet hall. She must be crazy over Aloysius for throwing a drink at the princess dress just because she was jealous.

I used my magic and started to levitate, seconds later I was flying in the night sky, the banquet hall was so chaotic that I longed to be somewhere peaceful. Napatingin ako sa ibaba, agaw pansin sa mga mata ko ang nagliliwanag na mga halamang iyon na sumasakop sa buong lawak ng burol hanggang sa bahaging ito ng kapatagan, kaya naman ay unti unti akong bumaba. Maya maya pa ay nakatapak na ako sa lupa. 

I look around as the wind blows these glowing dandelion seeds. I feel like I have been here before.Marahang napangiti ako. Nature never fails to amaze me. 

I bowed to pluck a glowing dandelion seed from its stem and blow it away but I guess the wind was not on my side as it blows the whole of it to the direction behind me. Kaya naman napalingon ako habang sinisilayan ang mga bagay na iyon na lumilipad palayo sa akin. They look like small glowing fairies. 

Pero hindi ko inaasahan na dumapo ang mga mata ko sa isang pamilyar na tao. With the continouos blowing of the wind, those glowing seeds also goes with it and now this lady in front of me glowed with it. 

She tucked her hair to the back of her ears, preventing the wind from wavering them too much. 

"It's you again," those are the words I blurted out instead of saying hello and how are you.

Ahh...I know why this place looks familiar. I had been here before and opposite to this scenario. I found her first, that day at the king's birthday when I was twelve and she was seven. Now I'm nineteen I never expect her to grow up into a refined lady. 

I thought that it would be our last encounter...

When I turned twenty I worked under the holy church. I was not the heir of our Dukedom therefore I found a job suitable for my ability. When I was a kid I often got lost, every time I opened a door in our manor I always found myself transported into another place. My teacher from the magic tower told me that it was my basic ability. At the age of twenty, I reached my maximum potential.

The Holy Church scouted me to join their force for the subjugation of evil. Especially the witches. five years after serving the Holy Church we stumbled upon the witch of origin. Petunia. She is the immortal witch and the most powerful one in their race. She has been trying to find a suitable body leaving thousands of dried corpses that she failed to possess and took over with. I'm guessing that Apocalypse, the shadow witch's body will soon expire.

Petunia has been using Apocalypse's body for a decade now. Apocalypse died because he was cornered by the eradicators, the force behind Duke Viden. His body is now possessed by the Immortal witch Petunia and we are put into a clash. If not for the Holy church then the whole land outside the City of Lutrya would vanish.

Unfortunately, Petunia got me and cursed me.

"Then now you won't be able to go after me. Keep chasing Wencieli Ledlucite, but what can you do with that frail body without any trace of your ability? You cannot harm me." Those are the words Petunia told me before I lost consciousness after the battle.

Napatingin ako sa mga palad ko, unti unting nagsara ang ginawa kong hiwa doon ng kutsilyo. If only I did not let my guard down, I would still be holding my power and ability. Now in exchange of sealing my prowess Petunia curse me with immortality. 

How many days have I been attempting to kill myself only to end up feeling alright in my bed as soon as I wake up? Just like today...

But I guess this day is quite exceptional. As I was busy finding the trace of Petunia ay bigla na lamang may mga taong pumalibot sa akin. They were in their uniform and they were not even afraid that people would see them in this broad daylight. 

Eradicators. That's what they are.

"What do you think you're doing?" I glared at them.

"This was the order of the Holy Church. We must eliminate you." A man with a huge body said as huge vines crawled behind him ready to attack me. But before I could even react a woman attacked me from behind with her leg and foot.

"Charlotte idiot don't charge like that!" 

"Shut up Caudata, just help you bunches of idiotic beings!"

Nasalo ko ang paa ng babae, mahigpit na hinawakan ko iyon at ibinalibag sa kanilang lahat saka tumakbo. Damn it. If only I still had my ability I woudn't be running like a coward. Lucky that I still have my reflexes and strong muscles. Somehow I manage to open a door at bumungad sa akin ang loob ng mansion namin sa Esnington pagkasarado ko ng pintuan.

Hindi makapaniwalang natawa ako. Should I at least celebrate that I still have my basic skills?