Stray

Hello! My name is Autumn, and today I will be sharing my story with you! Listen here, get your popcorn, and sit back and relax. Ill let the show begin. I once had a loving home. I was a tabby cat with gorgeous blue ocean eyes and a lovely pink nose. It was nice too! With great parents, my life was perfect. I loved being me. clawing on furniture, and being well, a cat! Even though I was naughty, my parents always loved me. They never doubted me. Well, that's what I thought.

One day, they said that I was going on a "road trip" and when we came, it was a place where there was nothing. I just realized that I made the biggest mistake of my life. I begged them to take me back to the house, and mom was crying her eyes out. Dad, on the other hand, had a pale expression like he saw a ghost. Then, after only a minute they were gone. The car sped away as quick as lightning. I was alone. No food, water, or shelter. But most of all, no family that loved me.

After a month, I realized that they weren't coming back for me. They probably found some other kitten that was better than me. Like they never cared. I was heartbroken at the time, but I eventually got over it. I've always looked up to my parents. But they just abandoned me like I was nothing, NOTHING, to them. I just learned the phrase "every cat fends for themselves", when I met Spot. He was a tuxedo cat that had green eyes. I loved him immediately. He was about the same age as me and we hit it off. We were a set, and we were inseparable.

One day, when we were looking through a garbage can through 34th street, we found Spot's old family! He said that because his parents were losing money and they couldn't afford his treatment and food! (well, at least he HAD a family...) I was happy for Spot, but I knew I was gonna be alone again.

Flash-forward 1 year later, I was (yes again) on 34th street. I was behind a bakery looking for some scraps to eat when I met a kind woman named Alicia. She loved gardening and she was nice to all creatures. I really knew that she couldn't understand my desperate meows, but like a miracle, she gave me all her fish. I forgot what good food tasted like. I mean, I don't blame myself, it's been almost 2 years since I was out of the car. I went with her on many adventures. I loved helping others. Not because I think that they are in need of help, but because I just wanted to be like Alicia.

Even though I loved Alicia and I trusted her, I was worried that she would betray me like my parents did. But, I did really love her like she WAS my mother. I just didn't know what to do otherwise. Then, one day, Alicia did not return. After a week I was really worried, and I did not know what to do. I was thinking of looking for a person when I remembered that humans don't understand cats. After 2 WHOLE WEEKS, she returned! With... crutches? I was so happy! But when she came to me, she was really slow. Over the next few weeks, I helped her with different things like getting objects and getting rid of pests.

Alicia seemed off, but I didn't worry about it too much. I knew that she had a lot of stress going on in her life right now and I didn't want to cause a mishap in her life. I really was trying my best to make her as comfortable as possible, but it just wasn't enough. One day, she told me why she got crutches. She said that she got in a car crash on the highway and the reason that she was so stressed, is that when she found me, she also found a GPS tracker and it was from my parents! And, when she opened her car door with a broken foot, she saw that the people in the car crash were my biological mother and father! But what shocked me the most was that they were in a coma.

I was mad at Alicia for keeping such a big secret from me, but I understood that she had no choice. I would have hated her either way. Then, one day, she took me to the car. I was so scared and was shivering and she knew something was wrong. So, I really tried to tell her. But, she couldn't understand me. No matter how hard I tried. She somehow understood me when I didn't like the car. I didn't know where we were going but when we arrived, I knew where we were. We were at the hospital. Not the vets though "hmph?" I meowed in disbelief.  When we went inside, the nurse said that someone was in room 247. She also apologized a lot which made me confused. When we went inside, I knew those faces. They were my parents. My REAL parents. They were still though and they didn't move. They were pale and gray. I meowed. No emotion. I batted them. Again, no emotion. Then, I knew why Alicia brought me here.

3 days later, I was still devastated, and I knew that Alicia did the right thing. Later, she cheered me up and now, I learned that they were in my past, and I should focus on my future. On my 5th birthday, Alicia had a surprise for me, and when she showed the papers, I WAS OVERJOYED! I was officially adopted by Alica! Or should I say mom? We were happy together. And I knew that real families stick together. We were both miracles in our own special ways.