Chapter 3: Unexpected Consequences

The cauldrons bubbled and simmered as the students worked diligently on their potions, the heady aroma of ingredients filling the dungeon classroom with an intoxicating scent. Draco Malfoy stirred his cauldron with practiced precision, his silver eyes focused on the task at hand.

However, the atmosphere grew tense as Harry Potter, his usual confidence faltering, fumbled with his ingredients, his potion bubbling ominously as wisps of smoke curled into the air.

"Potter, watch what you're doing!" Hermione hissed, casting a worried glance at the Gryffindor's increasingly volatile cauldron.

But it was too late. With a loud hiss and a plume of purple smoke, Harry's potion erupted, sending shards of glass flying and filling the room with chaos.

"Everyone, evacuate the classroom!" Snape bellowed, his voice cutting through the din as students scrambled to safety.

As the dust settled and the students gathered outside the classroom, Snape surveyed the scene with thinly veiled irritation.

"Potter," he began, his voice dripping with disdain, "your incompetence has once again proven to be a liability to yourself and your classmates."

Harry flushed with embarrassment, his shoulders slumping in defeat as he braced himself for Snape's inevitable reprimand.

"However," Snape continued, his gaze narrowing thoughtfully, "it is clear that your lack of skill in potion-making cannot be remedied through conventional means."

The students exchanged uncertain glances, unsure of what Snape was implying.

"Therefore," Snape announced, his tone brooking no argument, "Potter will require tutoring in order to improve his potion-making abilities."

Gasps of surprise rippled through the crowd as Snape's words sank in. Harry's eyes widened in disbelief, a mixture of resentment and determination flickering in their depths.

"And who, pray tell, will be responsible for this tutoring?" Draco Malfoy interjected, his voice tinged with skepticism.

Snape turned to Draco, a knowing glint in his eyes. "Given your exemplary skills in potion-making, Malfoy," he replied smoothly, "it seems only fitting that you should take on the responsibility of tutoring Mr. Potter."

Snape's suggestion hung heavy in the air, met with simultaneous protests from both Harry and Draco, their voices blending in a chorus of dissent.

"I'd rather fail Potions altogether than be tutored by him," Harry declared, his green eyes flashing with defiance as he glared at Draco.

Draco scoffed, his lips curling into a disdainful smirk. "Believe me, Potter, the feeling is mutual," he retorted, his tone dripping with disdain.

Snape's lip curled in amusement, his eyes gleaming with malicious satisfaction at the discord unfolding before him. "I'm afraid you have no choice in the matter," he interjected, his voice laced with thinly veiled menace. "Unless, of course, you'd prefer detention for the rest of the term."

Harry bristled at the threat, his fists clenching at his sides as he fought to contain his anger. "Fine," he bit out through gritted teeth, his gaze never leaving Draco's. "But don't expect me to thank you for it."

Draco arched an eyebrow, a smirk playing at the corners of his lips. "Oh, Potter," he replied smoothly, his tone dripping with sarcasm, "I wouldn't dream of it."