Chapter 5

Loki headed into the Vault, seeing the Casket of Ancient Winters sitting on its stand. He walked over to it slowly, reaching out to it, lifting it between his forearms off its pedestal. As he did, a blueness spread from his arms across his body. The latticework behind the Casket started to separate, the Destroyer rousing. A fire started to glow within its black metal armor as it rattled to life, but Loki ignored it. The blueness spread further, consuming his whole body.

"Stop!" Odin ordered

Loki turned, seeing Odin hurrying into the room, the Destroyer went motionless, the latticework rejoining before it.

Odin eyed Loki with dismay.

"Am I cursed?" Loki questioned

"No. Put the Casket down," Odin said

Loki set the Casket back upon its pedestal, his body quickly returning to its normal form and color. He stared at his father. "What am I?"

"You're my son,"

"What more than that?"

Odin didn't answer. He looked suddenly weary, burdened.

Loki sized him up, realizing the truth. "The Casket wasn't the only thing you took from Jotunheim that day, was it?" Loki asked

Odin looked him in the eye. He could deny it no longer. "No. In the aftermath of the battle, I went into the Temple, and I found a baby. Small for a giant's offspring...abandoned, suffering, left to die. Laufey's son,"

Loki was reeling by the revelation "Laufey's son..." he desperately struggled to understand it all.

"Yes,"

"Why? You were knee-deep in Jotun blood. Why would you take me?"

"You were an innocent child,"

"No. You took me for a purpose; what was it?"

Odin didn't answer.

"Tell me!" Loki ordered

"I thought we could unite our kingdoms one day, bring about an alliance, a permanent peace...through you. But those plans no longer matter," Odin explained

"So I am no more than another stolen relic, locked up here until you might have use for me,"

"Why do you twist my words?"

"You could have told me what I was from the beginning. Why didn't you?"

"You are my son. I wanted only to protect you from the truth,"

"Because I am the monster parents tell their children about at night?"

"Don't..."

"It all makes sense now. Why you have favored Thor all these years,"

"Listen..."

"Because no matter how much you claim to love me, you could never have a Frost Giant sitting on the Throne of Asgard!"

Odin started towards Loki when the enormous mental, emotional, and physical strain of recent events finally took its toll. The effect of the Odinsleep consumed him. His entire body moved out of sync with the rest of the world, leaving trails behind him as he staggered backward. Odin fell back against a wall, his face contorting in a scream. He collapsed to the stone floor.

Loki, shocked, hurried to him. He took Odin in his arms. "Guards!" Loki called out, "Guards! Please help!"

***

Frigga sat at her husband's bedside, holding his hand.

Odin lay there, looking pale and lifeless. His body and the space around it warped from the effect of the Odinsleep. 

The chamber walls had moved close around Odin, protecting him like a dark crypt, sealing off any daylight.

Loki sat at Odin's side, across from Frigga.

Frigga spoke softly to Loki. "I asked him to be honest with you from the beginning. There should be no secrets in a family,"

"So why did he lie?" Loki asked

"He kept the truth from you so you would never feel different. You are in every way our son, Loki, and we your family. You must know that,"

Loki took this in, staring at Odin.

"You can speak to him." Frigga explained to Loki, "He can see and hear us, even now,"

"How long will it last?" Loki asked

"I don't know. This time is different. We were unprepared,"

"I never get used to seeing him like this. The most powerful being in the Nine Realms lying helpless until his body is restored,"

"But he's put it off for so long now, I fear..."

Loki took her hand.

Frigga was grateful, wiping tears from her eyes. "You're a good son," Frigga told him

Loki sat there, uncertain how to react, uncertain how he felt.

"We mustn't lose hope that your father will return to us. And your brother," Frigga continued

Loki looked to Frigga, concerned. "What hope is there for Thor?"

"There's always a purpose to everything your father does. Thor may yet find a way home,"

Loki looked troubled by the revelation. He rose, heading for the exit, when they heard the clatter of Armored footsteps hurriedly approaching.

The Einherjar Guard entered the room, blocking his way out.

Loki tensed, preparing for the worst, but the guards stood before him. Loki was baffled.

"Thor is banished. The line of succession falls to you. Until he awakens, Asgard is yours," Frigga explained

The Einherjar knelt before the shocked Loki. Another Einherjar entered, holding Gungnir before him. He knelt before Loki, offering the spear to him.

"Make your father proud," Frigga told him

Loki reached out tentatively, then took Gungnir. He liked the feel of it in his hand.