003

~Sarah's P.O.V.~

I was okay with being a med-jack, it was easier working with a couple people versus like eight or nine. But I'd accepted and I was not gonna back down from a challenge. Minho wouldn't have asked if he didn't think I was good, but then again why did he ask? I sat in my room just thinking about everything, adjusting to life inside the glade was hard but it was easier then I thought it was gonna be.

"You're up early?" I turned, it was Alby. What did he want?

I shrugged. "I'm always up this early."

"It's five a.m., no one's up this early." Alby jokes, that was a lie, most of the boys were up this early. "So I heard you're gonna be a Runner."

I nodded. "Guess so."

To be honest I was kind of ignoring him, Minho asked me that completely out of the blue, like I'd said we hardly knew each other. We only spoke in the morning, if at all. Now we'd be working together and trying to solve the maze, crazy to think about. My mind wandered off to our small conversation before he asked me to be a Runner. It made my heart flutter, it was stupid but true.

"If you're nervous, don't be, Minho doesn't let anyone get hurt." Alby assured me.

I looked at him. "I'm not. Although I am surprised he hasn't killed Justin yet."

"As much as the guy may annoy Minho to death, he knows better, even if I won't throw his butt off the cliff. Remember what I told you about order."

"I remember." I sighed. "You think I'm good enough?"

"For?"

"To be a Runner."

"Of course I do," Alby said. "But my opinion doesn't matter, if Minho thinks you're good enough then that's that."

I digested that, it was true and I believed Alby, I felt safe around the guy and he gave me no bad feelings. Just butterflies in my stomach. Sometimes he'd make me blush. Other than that there was nothing scary or unnerving about him.

"I guess you're right," I left and went to go help Frypan with breakfast.

~*~

I listened as Minho explained the maps, the maze, what to bring, weapons. Apparently you need weapons to go out into the maze, that didn't shock me. I grabbed a nice sharp knife with a black handle. Nothing fancy, and they also have special shoes. Fancy. A digital watch so you can check the time so you get back on time which is good so you don't die.

"That's it," Minho said, wrapping up his instructions. "There's nothing to it."

"Okay. So where do you come in?" I asked sarcastically.

"Oh haha, I'm the one who runs this show, obviously."

"I was expecting someone more profound."

Minho fake slapped himself. "My ego has been bruised."

"You'll survive."

~Minho's P.O.V.~

After her first two ish weeks, Sarah proved to be more than just fast and smart, she was almost the perfect runner. No one would be as perfect as me but that's okay. I had a new running partner, thank god, Justin was now stuck with Peter. That's gotta suck.

Suddenly she stopped. I thought something was wrong so I stopped as well. "You okay?"

Slowly she turned to look at me. "Why did you ask me to be a Runner?"