Chapter thirtysix:Rough hands

"When a devil falls in love, it's the most hauntingly beautiful thing ever

"When a devil falls in love, it's the most hauntingly beautiful thing ever. And you should be terrified, for he will go to the depths of hell for her."

Arabella Karve
"Good evening,"  Dimitri gives me a seductive smile as I slowly sit down in the seat beside him, admiring the dining table that's ridiculously decorated by anything that sparkles.

My parents really went all out tonight— well even more than usual. Golden candles, antique glasses, and all kinds of courses filled with delectable food line the extensive table. The ivory lace tablecloth, outlined by tiny golden embroideries, shimmers softly beneath the warm light of the priceless chandeliers.

The chatter from the many 'special' guests fills the room, chorusing with the sound of Mr.Dupont's laughter as my mother showers him with compliments at the end of the table.

"Dimitri," I give him a tight lipped smile, struggling to suppress the adrenaline pumping through my veins.

He kissed me. I kissed him. We kissed.

I still feel his hands on my body. On my waist, my hair, my neck— my thigh.

And for the first time in twenty years, that empty feeling that sits at the bottom of my chest, gnawing away at my soul every day, is gone.

"I was worried for a moment there that you weren't going to make an appearance," he  grins, casually draping an arm over the back of my chair as he leans in a little closer to me.

My body goes rigid as the smile on my face wavers from the proximity.

I nervously fiddle with the hem of my black dress as I cross my legs, picking at a small piece of string that I tore when ripping off the tag.

After Eros left, and my fathers apprentice gave me one last judgmental look before leaving my room, I realized my perfectly white dress was tainted by the blood coating Eros.

Last week after me and my friends got lunch, I found a small boutique that had just opened down the street. When the woman who worked there showed me a dress that she said 'looked like me', and it happened to be the last one in stock— I immediately fell in love with it. And then after arguing with Eros for about ten minutes, he ended up buying it for me as I thanked him relentlessly.

"Oh don't worry, I could never decline an offer to hang out with someone as charming as you."

Dimitri throws his head back with laughter as his blond hair falls around his smiling face, framing his attractive features.

A shiver runs down my spine as I suddenly become aware of a gaze burning into the side of my head, causing the hairs on the back of my neck to rise. My heart races as I slowly turn my head to the wall adjacent to me, and my eyes immediately clash with the piercingly blue ones that are trained unwaveringly upon me.

Eros's eyes flicker down to the arm draped over the back of my chair, and carefully run along it until they lock on Dimitris' hand that is silently caressing my pale skin. Fuck.