Lilith's Letter

219 Baker Street was not necessarily the most quiet place. It was merely a few residents down from the infamous 221 B Baker Street - also known as the Sherlock Holmes museum. This goes without mention but I wouldn't dare not to include this as well. Baker Street is located in Marylebone, UK. Although, the Sherlock hint should have given that little fact away. 

This however, is where Lilith Grove lived. She lived in a three room apartment with her father, mother, and dog. Her father, Arnold Grove was a business man. He woke up every day at five in the morning and wouldn't return until seventeen hundred hours. Her mother, was magical in a sense. Arnold always left Helen a monstrous list of tasks to get done before he got home. Before Lilith went to school she always made sure to glance at the list. She would always be amazed when coming home. Not only because her mother had finished the list... But because her mother even found time to do other such things. Like; read a book or two, sew a new dress for Lilith, or even spend some time with the neighbors (Bella and Maria). This is why, for the longest time, Lilith believed her mother must have some sort of super power to get all of these tasks done. 

One day at the dinner table, Lilith spoke up on the matter. "Father, have you ever noticed that Mama is able to get all the tasks on her list done - and manage to still find time to do other things as well?"

"It's not that much to do," Arnold dismissed her. He was quite a quiet man. Someone, no one would expect to be the mean type. However, when he got upset about something... Well, it's not very pretty is it? 

"But father, it's as if she were magical!" Lilith would smile and then turn to her mother with admiration. 

Arnold would slam his fist on the table. Lilith didn't like when he got this way, not one bit. She learned to hold her tongue. She knew it was better to stay silent. "I will not have no muttering of any of that horrid fiddle faddle in this house. Magic does NOT exist, Lilith." Arnold would then turn to Helen, "Does it, Helen? Or do you need a talking to as well?" 

The dinner would be silent after that. No one ever brought up the idea of 'magic' or 'superpowers' to Arnold Grove again, let alone speak about either in his household. 

Well, that was until Lilith's 11th birthday began to approach. Before heading out to go to Tesco with her friends - which was merely a short walk down the street - she paused in the hall as she listened to her parents argue in the tone of a whisper. 

"I don't care what you say, or what that dreaded school says. She will NOT be attending no school where she will become such a sinful being. Carrying around toads and bewitching people." Arnold was stern in this decision. Lilith could tell by the way he slurred his words between his teeth. 

"But Arnold please, think of the ways she could help you. Of the ways magic helps our family already. Please, dear?" Helen almost begged, "It's not as if she'll be alone. Her cousin will be attending as well." 

"Oh," Arnold shot back, "How can you be sure that they both are... that way... before the letter has arrived. You you're self - your family didn't even know about them, about us before you were born Helen. Is it too much to ask for everyone to be NORMAL?!" 

"Arnold, her and her cousin have both shown so much evidence that they will be magical. As for why I want her to go... Well, She isn't just a muggle-born like I was. She has a reputation to uphold. You're reputation to uphold, might I remind you. When are you going to tell her what you actually do for work, Arnold? Is she supposed to stay in the dark forever? You know, just as well as me the dangers that go along with her not being in the loop of things. Especially since... You Know Who is rumored to be back." Helen began to get nervous.