PART IV: DEPRESSION

Ray gave him a pained smile as she gently but quickly removed all the things that were restricting him, "Hi, Chatty."

"Cups," he struggled to say her name.

"Shhh," Ray choked out, "You're going to be okay."

"I love you," Chatty let out a strangled breath, "Don't– don't forget–"

"Please, Chatty, I'm begging you. Conserve your energy, I'll help you out of here," Ray could feel all the exhaustion catching up to her. But, she pushed through it as she slung his arm around her shoulders, "I love you, okay? Stay with me."

"Always," Chatty coughed. He was bleeding all over that he could barely see anything. He had bruises and scratches and wounds all over; he was surprised that he was even alive. He just wanted to see his Cups at least one last time. And, the sight of her looking like an angel saving him from the darkness was enough.

"Stay with me, Chatty," Ray started crying as she could feel him growing limp, struggling to carry him out of the mines, "Please."

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, Cups," Chatty whispered as he started falling to the ground. Ray rushed to soften his fall, cradling his body as her facade weakened and fell.

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, too, Chatty. You're all I ever wanted," she whispered back.

Chatty breathed out, smiling up at her and reaching his hand out to stroke her cheek, "I love you. Tell me you love me, too."

"I love you, Chatty. I love you. Please stay with me. Somebody will come, I'm sure of it. Please, just stay with me. I need you," Ray begged, tears uncontrollably flowing down her cheek and mixing with the blood that his hand had left. He smiled at her again, leaning up with all his might to plant a soft kiss on her lips. She kissed back as gently as she could.

Then, as if the world began to grow darker, his bruised and bloodied body fell limp in her arms. She widened her eyes as she screamed, "Help! Chatty– please please please wake up. Don't do this to me. Please, Chatty."

"HELP!" The clowns heard their Queen's yells for help and began going in the direction of her desperate pleas. Kirk and Twinkles arrived first, knocking down the wooden barricade that she managed to squeeze herself into. Once they saw the situation, Twinkles called Wendy to bring her Granger over to where they were.

"Please please please, Chatty," Kirk heard her begging again and again and again.

"Hiccups, give him to me," Kirk struggled to say. He, too, was scared that he might have lost his best friend; his brother.

"NO!"

"Hiccups," Kirk kneeled next to her, putting a couple of fingers over Chatty's pulse and a hand on his chest, "He's still breathing. His heart is still beating. We need to go to the hospital."

"But, all the blood, Kirk– he–," Ray's mind was hazed and unsure just as Twinkles arrived right next to them with Sooty and Max.

"Come on, I'll carry him and Twinkles will carry you. You haven't gotten enough rest," Kirk took Chatty's body and carried him over his shoulder with Twinkles lifting Ray off the ground.

"Is he gonna be okay?" Ray sobbed vulnerably as she wrapped her arms around Twinkles' neck.

"Twinkles guarantees it and Twinkles is never wrong," he murmured, lying through his teeth and crossing his fingers. He wasn't sure. He didn't know. But, he has to make her believe otherwise.

– – – – –

Due to the exhaustion, Ray was asleep in her hospital room for an entire day. Chang Gang, the Clowns, and almost half the city came and visited her and Chatterbox. April remained by her side, wringing her fingers nervously. Vinny kept pacing up and down the hallway outside of her room. Kirk kept glancing from her room to his best friend's. He knew both of them were going to be okay... at least, he'd hope they would.