18 | toxic

As the adrenaline of escape began to fade, the reality of my situation settled in. Tim's apartment felt like a safe haven, a place where the horrors of the past hours couldn't reach me. We sat on the couch, the silence between us heavy with unspoken questions and emotions.

Tim watched me with concerned eyes, his arm still wrapped protectively around my shoulders. I knew I had to ask, to understand what had happened to him. I took a deep breath, gathering the courage to speak.

"Tim," I began softly, my voice still shaky. "What happened? Why did you disappear after that call at the hotel? Why was Petrovich able to kidnap you?"

Tim's expression darkened, his jaw tightening as he recalled the events. He looked away, his eyes distant. "Lucy, it's complicated," he said, his voice low and evasive.

I frowned, frustration bubbling up inside me. "Tim, please. I need to know. We're partners. We're supposed to trust each other."

He shook his head, his gaze still avoiding mine. "It's not that simple. There are things you're better off not knowing. For your safety."

A wave of anger and hurt washed over me. "How can you say that? After everything we've been through, you still won't tell me the truth?"

Tim sighed, running a hand through his hair. "It's not about trust, Lucy. It's about keeping you safe. The less you know, the better."

I clenched my fists, feeling helpless and shut out. "I can handle it, Tim. I'm not some fragile doll that needs protecting. I deserve to know what's going on."

Tim's eyes softened slightly, and I could see the conflict in them, but he remained silent. I could tell he wasn't going to budge. The weight of his secrecy hung between us, a barrier I couldn't break through.

With a heavy heart, I stood up from the couch. "I'm going to get some water," I said, my voice tight. "I need a moment."

I walked to the kitchen, trying to collect myself. I didn't know what hurt more—what Chris had done to me or the feeling of being kept in the dark by the one person I trusted the most.

As I poured a glass of water, my mind raced with the implications of Tim's silence. He was keeping something from me, something important. I returned to the living room, determined to get some answers.

Tim looked up as I approached, his eyes still filled with that mix of guilt and determination. I sat back down beside him, the tension between us palpable.

"Tim," I began again, more firmly this time. "You need to tell me what's going on. I deserve that much."

He sighed heavily, running his hand through his hair again. "Lucy, Petrovich didn't do this, I did," he said, his voice thick with self-loathing. "I am to blame and I got you kidnapped again. That is how much control you have over me."

I stared at him, shocked by his admission. "And I'm still here, Tim. That's how much control you have over me."

He shook his head, frustration etched into his features. "Listen to us. This is toxic. We are in a toxic relationship, Lucy. I got you kidnapped, and you find someone else to blame!"

"You want me to blame you? Easy. Done," I snapped, my voice rising. "You screwed up, Tim, again!"

"Thank you!" he shot back, sarcasm lacing his words.

"You put me in a position where I have to go against every single thing I believe in, again, because I love you!" I shouted, tears of anger and frustration welling up in my eyes.

"Then stop loving me!" he yelled, his face inches from mine.

"I can't!" I cried, the words tearing out of me, raw and painful.

"Well, that's the problem! We don't work," he said, his voice dropping, the intensity giving way to a resigned sadness.

I nodded, the realization sinking in. "I know. Then we agree, this has to end."

"It just did," Tim said quietly, his eyes filled with a mixture of relief and sorrow.

"It's over—whatever we had is over," he added, the finality of the words hanging in the air between us.

"I hate you." i murmured.

"What did you just say?" he said raising his voice. He stepped closer to me.

He stopped right in front of me. His tall body leaning over me. I looked up and gulped.

( if you get it you get it, if you don't you don't 😉)

please leave a comment and voteee!!!