Chapter XLV

"Binghe—."

"No."

"This is the only idea we have—."

"Do you need my limbs? My eye? My tongue? Anything else, Qingge, it's yours to do as you please. But this? I will not, not now, not this, not ever."

"Brat."

Luo Binghe was harder to wrangle than the last time, bigger, stronger, and endlessly stubborn—though, that last bit wasn't any different than before. The man was akin to a dragon in human form, with even the horns and tail to match at times. Stubborn, big, and terribly argumentative. Liu Qingge genuinely couldn't tell if this was a matter of his pride or pure spite.

Liu Qingge landed a successful blow to his knees, causing them to buckle before Luo Binghe let his body roll into the movement, putting a far distance away from Liu Qingge and his hitting. He glared at the peak lord with a heavy pout, who only raised a challenging brow at him.

"It's not like we're going to Shen Qingqiu."

He would argue that this is worse than going to that haughty bastard! He'd find out either way! "And how exactly is going to Yue Qingyuan any better, Shixiong?" He'd only just returned from the Southern Planes, Xin Mo was still unsheathed against the wall, and he was feeling rather slighted at the moment.

There wasn't much left to do in the Demon Realm, and he'd returned today of all days with the hope that he could steal Liu Qingge away long enough to revisit Shen Yuan, and work out there...spat.

It was not a fight. He wouldn't call it a fight.

They didn't fight, at least not anymore. Perhaps a bit of bickering, but they didn't fight. Their A-Yuan had just said...things he didn't mean. Sometimes he worded things incorrectly or didn't understand the proper meaning. It was just a misunderstanding and they could work it out quickly.

At least, that's what he'd convinced himself.

It was all he could do to convince himself. Lest the Southern Plains crumble in blazes of fire.

Besides, he knew Liu Qingge hadn't handled it any better than him, so he had thought the man would be amiable to agree with his plan.

Instead, here they were!

At an impasse, glaring at each other, with neither willing to back down.

"He's easier to go to, besides, he'd likely ban us from Ling Shou himself if he hears that we've been fighting."

"We haven't been fighting," Luo Binghe corrected, eye twitching at Liu Qingge's improper phrasing. "Besides, let him try."

Liu Qingge raised a brow at Luo Binghe's restatement and then denial. Groaning only a moment later as he rolled his eyes, it was simpler this way. Shen Qingqiu was liable and bound to laugh at them if not entirely mock and shame them if they went to him and Yue Qingyuan for help in this matter. But Yue Qingyuan was kinder than his mate. While it was still rather unclear if he favored or disliked them in terms of being Shen Yuan's mates, it was rather apparent that he valued their skillset and prowess as martial brothers, as he was willing and amiable to send them on any mission they so much as asked for.

Then again...that could also be his own plow for getting them as far away from Shen Yuan as possible. But at the moment, Liu Qingge chose to think of it as the former.

Liu Qingge crossed his arms over his chest, shaking his head. "It's either this, or we attempt to talk to Shen Yuan ourselves again."

Luo Binghe grumbled at that. He would much rather speak to Shen Yuan again rather than this, however, the only problem was that they were still rather clueless as to what it was he was upset at them for. Yes, the apparent annoyance with them snooping was clear, but they had given their explanation for that, and in return were met with...less than favorable negotiations.