chapter fifty-seven

Chapter 57

___________________________

Mina gasped and grabbed at her neck as she woke up. She instantly recognized the cold and dry scent of Limbo. Getting up, she immediately noted the difference from the last time she was here.

As memories of her death flooded her brain, she shook them away. She didn't have long before Bonnie's heart stopped, officially ending her control over the spell that brought her here. And if her heart stopped before she was back in the real world, she'd be stuck forever.

"Bonnie!" Mina screamed. She didn't have time for pleasantries. "We gotta go, Bon! We don't have long!"

Closing her eyes, she took in a long whiff wondering if her vampire abilities could help her pick up anything that could help her find her cousin faster. It wasn't until the familiar smell of blood seeped into her nose, prickling her senses.

She recognized it instantly.

Bonnie.

Speeding off in the direction of her cousin's blood, she flashed by buildings and wonderfully built houses. Within seconds, however, she was face to face with a crowd of people who sent waves of Bennett magic seeping through her skin.

And standing in the center was her own mother.

"Mom?" Mina whispered in disbelief.

Cora's mouth opened but no words came out. As tears wielded in her eyes, she took in her figure. Her daughter had grown tall, her skin darker, and her hair longer since the last time she had seen her. But the biggest difference was how confidently she stood. It was almost as if she feared nothing. "Hi, baby girl," Cora softly spoke.

Flashing over to her mother, Mina wrapped her arms around her and sunk into her embrace. "I–I'm so sorry, mom." Both of the two knew that Mina was referring to her vampire nature.

Cora pulled back, staring Mina in the eyes. "Oh, my precious, baby girl," Cora soothed. "You have nothing to apologize for. I wish I was there with you, but I promise I'm watching."

Mina shook as she tried to hold back tears. "There are hundreds of things I wish I could tell you."

"I know, baby," Cora nodded slowly. "But you need to get Bonnie out of here before she's stuck here." Signaling for her daughter to turn around, she gave her a small push.

Turning around, Mina gasped as she saw Bonnie's body lying unconscious on the ground. Tearing from her mother's arms, put herself on the ground beside her cousin's body. "Is she okay? What happened?"

"She will be fine if you leave now," Shelia Bennett assured sliding into the conversation. "Hello, Mina dear."

"Shelia?" Mina asked, looking up. Seeing her mother had slowed down her brain processing time. All of this was a bit overwhelming for even her. "As in my grandmother's sister?"

Shelia Bennett nodded with a smile on her face. "I'm sure we will have a chance to meet later," She started. "But I need you to get my granddaughter out of here."

"But Mom," Mina sighed, tears now dripping down her face. She felt so torn. Who was she supposed to pick? The mother she had never dreamed of living life without or the cousin who had became her sister in every way but blood. "I-I'm a vampire now. I can't–I won't–"

Cora tilted her head in confusion. As she stared at her daughter's tear-filled face, it clicked. It could be thousands of years before she was back.

Cora kneeled down beside her daughter, placing a kiss on her forehead. "You shouldn't come back here, my dear. Visiting the dead taps into a type of magic that you don't want to get a habit of playing with."