Chapter 9

“Oh god, my head's pounding.” I press both my hands on the side of my head. As I groan out loudly, someone smacks a pillow on my face.

“Shut up. Go back to sleep.” A voice shushes me. I can’t even open my eyes well. I fear the moment sunlight enters my eyes, my head will explode. I don’t quite remember where I am or how I got here. I slowly peek one eye open and notice Nivi sleeping next to me. I let my eyes drift around to make out my whereabouts. Fortunately, it's Nivi's room. I wonder what time it is.

Grabbing my phone from the nightstand, I check the time, but three missed calls from my mom catch my eye. Immediately, I’m up now. Oh no. I’m so done for. I don’t think that I called her upon reaching back safely. Thankfully, I gave her the other girls' numbers, I can only pray now that one of them actually picked up. At least Lia would have.

It's nine thirty in the morning. It's Saturday; I don’t recall any of us having plans today. Peeling myself off forcefully from the bed, I make my way to the washroom to freshen up. I tense up, realizing I have no toothbrush here. My mouth is going to stink all day. Ew. Maybe I could find another way. There must be another way. However, my intrusive thoughts are interrupted when I spot a new, clean toothbrush near the sink. I pick it up, confused. Is this for me? I don’t really think too much into it and use it for myself. I will buy another one later for them.

Barefooted, I walk out the washroom, peeking into the guest room, pondering who stayed here if I slept in Nivi's room. And of course, it's Maisie and Lia sleeping like a log. I heave a sigh of relief since I was worried if they managed to reach their dorms safely. Just when I carefully closed the door, trying not to wake them up, my stomach growls. I haven’t had breakfast yet. I should probably make something for me and the girls. They will be up soon and hungry as well.

Reaching the kitchen, I came across what I was nervous about the most. Rajvir is laying down….breakfast I presume on the table. It looks too much for one person. I guess that he heard my footsteps because he's now observing me. I play with the sleeves of the sweatshirt I’m wearing as a tick of nervousness. I’m in someone else's sweatshirt and shorts. I believe it's Nivi's by the way it fits me since we are almost the same size.

“You can sit if you want to.” Rajvir breaks the silence hovering around. Without any question, I pull a chair and take my seat next to him. I assume that he expected me to sit a bit far since his eyebrows are scrunched up now. I don’t really care. My head’s hurting, and I’m hungry. I just sat wherever I could.

There's fruits, pancakes, and scrambled eggs on the table. I fill my plate with two pancakes and a banana. Pouring maple syrup on my pancakes, I ask, “Why so much food? Did you prepare it for us all?”

“No. Bash stayed over. I made it for him and I.”

“I take it as you don’t mind me eating your food then. What should I make for the girls, though, before they wake up?”

“Don’t make anything. There is enough food on the table. I don’t mind you eating.” He cuts me short. His mood seems sour today. He's always been a bit grouchy. Today, he's being more distant as if he's being forced to speak.

“So, you did make all of this for us.” I try to hide my smile by shoving a piece of pancake in my mouth. He stays silent and ignores my comment.

After eating, he takes his plate to the sink. However, I look over and remark that the dishes are not yet done. “Leave the dishes, I’ll do them. It's the least I can do after breakfast.” I offer politely. Still no response. He still carries on putting the dishes in the dishwasher. Is he giving me a cold shoulder? He was fine last night as far as I remember. I even saw him almost smile.