Chapter 4

"Are we really speaking about that again?" Nivi rolls her eyes as I ramble for the thousandth time this week.

"Yeah cause I feel like such an idiot. He was really attractive, Nivi. You should have seen him." I reply as I start to pack my things.

Nivedita and I found a cozy space around the campus to hang out. It has a sort of picnic table. I am surprised at how quickly I've adapted here. Most importantly, how quickly I've warmed to Nivedita.

"Sure. There are so many guys here. Some are supposed to be attractive. Maybe you were spell bounded." She smirks at me.

"NO. I was SO not. It's just slipped from my mind to ask for his name." It has been more than a week since I've met the cute guy from bench. I really wish I could have turned back and asked for his name, but unfortunately, the professor came through the door just after I did. I've been dreading on this moment for so long now.

"Whatever you say." She puts her hands up in surrender. We both get up at the same time to leave the campus. My heart shrinks as we have to go in separate ways. I have not made any more friends except for Nivi for now. Living alone in an unknown place does not seem that fun anymore.

"Hey, I forgot to ask you. Would you like to come for a sleepover tonight at my place? It's Friday. The apartment seems empty and sad. My brother is in his room most of the time or out." She looks at me with hope.

"Oh my gosh, YES. I hate living at mine. It gets lonely sometimes, and let's not forget about my gross roommate." I physically recoil as I think about her. She's made living with her almost unbearable. I get people who are untidy, but I absolutely can not stand unhygienic people. And she's one of them. Every time she eats, she leaves her trash right there. Most of the times, I've picked them up, but I am already sick of it.

I am brought back to reality when I hear Nivedita squealing out of joy, "We are gonna have fun. We can watch movies or even bake. Finally, some fun."

"I have to change my clothes and pack for the night, though. Will you come with me and wait or should I meet you at the café?"

"I can come with you. I have nothing to do anyway. Then we can go together."

We speak about how our classes are going as we walk till my dorm.

.....................................................

Twenty minutes later, I'm all ready to leave. I'm waiting for Nivedita to bring her car. I start scrolling through my phone to look less awkward as I looked idle for too long. Fortunately, she comes right when I'm about to look at my phone.

As soon as I get into the car, I hear her singing a Bollywood item song called "Beedi" at full volume. I have no words. I'm just looking at her singing as if she's in a concert. She sounds so bad as well. She finally notices me observing her. Instead of stopping or getting embarrassed, she puts her fist in front of my mouth and gestures me to use this as a microphone to sing along. Thankfully, I know the song. Now, we are both singing our lungs out while she starts driving off.

After a while, we reach a building where each floor has an apartment. I am staring at it as I wonder how much does it cost. We get into the lift, and before arriving on the designated floor, Nivi looks at me and says "I don't know if my brother will be here. Most probably not. It's Friday, and he's out mostly each Friday. But if he's here, you don't have to speak to him. He's not really fond of people." I nod the moment she's finished.

Not fond of people? Interesting pair of siblings. It's not like I am going to speak to him anyway. I barely know the guy. What will I even say to him?

"Welcome to Paradise Island. This is my place. You can put your bag here." She points to the table in the living area. "Let's give you a tour first of all."