Chapter 5

"What is his issue with me?" I asked myself as I made my way to my usual spot of the campus. I was already annoyed after the jarring class of criminal justice. I am used to teachers appreciating my efforts in classes. However, this professor is a tough nut to crack.

It has been five days since my sleepover at Nivi's. It was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. I have always heard the girls in high school speaking about how fun sleepovers are. Sadly, I've never been to one. My parents were strictly opposed to that as I clearly remember their words, "No sleepovers. We don't know what kind of people are out there. It's not safe." So, as the obedient child I was, after many attempts, I gave up on asking them.

The sleepover I had with Nivedita mainly consisted of us having a movie marathon. I was internally relieved that Rajvir was not at home. I am pretty sure that he did not appreciate my presence.

However, to my greatest dismay, while I had to use the washroom in the morning, I bumped right into him. And, of course, I ran back to the room as fast as I could. I could not afford ruining my mood that early in the morning.

As I reach the usual corner of the campus, I spot an unfamiliar face. She's got shoulder-length dark brown hair and is working attentively on her laptop. Since it's a big campus, I am aware other students may come here as well, but this place is quite far from the classes. It's quite surprising to have someone else here. I debate whether to stay or to leave her alone. I choose the former. It's useless to go back all the way now and what are the chances I will find an empty place there to work.

"Excuse me, hi? Do you mind if I sit here?" I say softly, trying not to startle her.

She looks up at me and smiles, "Sure. Please sit down. It's no problem at all."

She looked a bit scary at first. Her demeanor completely changed the moment she gave me a smile. All the fears of her being annoyed with me vanish.

Not wanting to disturb her, I remove my laptop and start to work quietly. No words were said. I can even hear the birds singing, but it was a comfortable silence. It was nice to get away for a while from the campus' commotion.

"OH MY GOD, AVANTI. THANK GOD YOU'RE HERE. LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO ME." And there goes my moment of silence. Nivi was almost screaming. Her voice is already high-pitched, so it doesn't matter if she is not screaming.

Putting a hand on my chest, I take in her attire. Her baby pink blazer was now brown from what I think is coffee. It's a real pain to see such a good piece of clothes ruined. However, I'm biting my lips, trying not to burst into laughter. Nivi is hysterical. She's turning into a rage monster.

"I'm very happy that this is amusing to you. I love this fit. It's one of my most cherished pieces. This girl ruined it." She points to a girl behind her with narrowed eyes. That's when I catch the sight of the petite girl trailing behind her. She looks mortified. Her eyes are welled up, ready to spill at any given moment.

"I'm really sorry. I didn't see you on the way. I can give you money to buy another one if you want." Her voice cracks. Instead of answering, Nivi glares at her. I stand up and ask Nivi to sit and compose herself.

"Hey it's okay. I'm sure you didn't mean it. Nivi is quite sensitive over her outfits. I'm sure we can find a solution." I try to comfort the girl who lets out a strangled cry.

"The stains can be removed if you soak it in boiling water with detergent in it. It won't ruin the fabric. Trust me, I've been through this." Says the girl with laptop. I had almost forgotten she was there.

I thank her for the advice and give Nivi the mom look. She rolls her eyes and sighs, "Don't cry. The stains will be removed. It's futile to cry over it now. I'm not mad anymore."