Chapter 6

RAJVIR

Earlier…

“I don’t care if the sales are good. We need an ambassador for the app. Someone who will attract more people.” I reminded Sean through a video call. He has been my assistant for a whole two months now. That’s the longest that someone put up with my shit. It's a simple job, but nobody seems qualified enough to take orders, apparently.

I slammed my laptop down and went downstairs to get a glass of water. That’s when a girl with dark brown hair cascading down her hips loomed into my line of vision. She was leaning against the kitchen counter while my sister asked her something. I’m quite enjoying the backside view right now. I  hoped the front would not disappoint. As I approached, she spun her head around and came to face to me.

Just when I was about to take a good look at her, Nivedita interrupted me with her useless questions. I replied to her but swiftly looked at her friend to catch her dumbfounded. I remembered her. I hardly forget a face. I had seen her with Bash once on campus. What was she doing in my house? That was the first time Nivedita brought someone here, more like the first time she's had a brown skinned friend. Mom's going to be happy for her.

Nivedita snapped me out from my internal thoughts and introduced her new friend, Avantika to me. Avantika…fitted perfectly for her.I shot her with a quick hey and went to the fridge.

Waiting next to the door, I paid attention to Avantika and her mannerisms. I have no PHD in psychology, but over the years I’ve studied people’s behavior. Most of the people I have come across reeked of fake. For handling a company, your instincts must be sharp. Avantika seemed no harm. Something about her captivated me. Maybe it was the way she kept fidgeting while talking to my sister as if she were aware of my presence. Or maybe it was how free her laugh sounded.

All of a sudden, I heard a knock at the door. Shit. I almost forgot I made plans with Bash tonight. Bash, short for Sebastian Carter, was my closest friend since high school. With his cheeky smile and soft demeanor, he is the more approachable one between us. Being friends for almost eight years made me develop a soft corner for him. He was almost family.

Opening the door, Bash passed through me like it was his house. I slapped him at the back of his head, “You’re late.”

“By only ten minutes. You are so uptight all-” he stopped mid sentence when he spotted the Avantika on the couch.

He rushed over and immediately engaged in a conversation with them. Was this guy serious? Did he even remember why he was here? Now I could not remember why I kept ties with this guy for all these years. However, realization dawned upon me that this was the first time in a long time that he had returned to his old form. After his breakup with Sadie, he had been a mess.

I eyed his interactions closely. Feeling my stare, Avantika turned her head towards me. Our eyes locked for a split second before hers trailed on me up and down. She was checking me out. I knew that I looked good. I always did. Impressions matter to me. Most importantly first impressions. Using this as an opportunity, I let my eyes study her, too. She has a small round face, mole on the left side of her head, and brown doe eyes filled with life and innocence. She looked untouchable. So sweet yet fun. She's wearing an olive green tank top and jeans. I could tell the outline of her figure, but not quite well. That’s too bad, I’d love to have a good full view.

I yanked myself back to reality and abruptly said, “Bash, I think it's time to take our leave.”

After repeating myself for a second time, Bash got the message and joined me.

……………………………………………….

I swirled my drink in my hand, “You seemed fine earlier, how?”