Chapter 8

Avantika

Sometimes, it's better to keep things unsaid. If only I had realized it earlier, I would not have been in this situation right now. When Bash took my hand to help me get up from the stairs, I accidentally asked, “Did you think about your ex-girlfriend the last time you held my hand?”

Now, there's a frown plastered on his lips. I silently curse myself for ruining the atmosphere. It suddenly got tense. Next time, I’ll remember to bring tape for my mouth. He rakes his hand in his hair before saying “Let's go inside.” Smoothing my hands on my skirt, I get back inside. I am not quite sure where to go, I just follow him till the kitchen in the hope of finding my friends.

“Wanna play a game of beer pong?” Maisie asks me, coming out of nowhere. Her eyes are filled with fun. There is no way out for me.

“Maze, I’ve never played beer pong before.” I whisper to her, making sure no one hears me.

“Pfft. That’s fine. You'll be on my team. I’ve never lost a game of beer pong in my whole life.” She declares proudly. Reluctantly, I give in. Currently, I hate that one of my worst traits is that I get convinced too quickly. We both take our position on a side of the table with the cups already stacked.  

“Hey girl, who are you?  Maze brought you here?” A blonde guy standing the opposite side quirks his eyebrows at me. I shift my eyes to Maisie for answers. Who the hell is this? For how long have I been gone?

“Hi, I’m Avantika. You are?”

“Aiden. We’re starting in two. Let me bring my partner.” He states before leaving abruptly. I utilize this moment to search for Bash. He's leaning against the doorframe, laughing at whatever the girl in front of him is saying to him. That’s an improvement. Exactly after two minutes, Aiden brings one of the most drop-dead gorgeous guys I've laid my eyes on since I’ve been here. Where has he been hiding? He’s a huge guy with an athletic body and a well sculptured face.

Holding a cup in one hand, he introduces himself, “Hey, I'm Nate, I’ve been informed that I'm playing against you two for this game.” He flashes us his boyish smile.

I’m a bit nervous now since both of the guys appear to have athletic skills. A game of beer pong will definitely be child's play to them. I glance at Maisie, who does not look intimidated, not even a tiny bit. Instead, she rubs her hand together and says, “Bring it on.”

Oh, this is going to be a long night.

………………………………………….........

Brows furrowed, lips puckered, I aim at one of the remaining two cups. And in, it goes. I squeal loudly and turn to Maisie to high-five her. The last thirty minutes have been ping-pong balls flying across the room. Maisie’s fierce competitive side has come out rather unexpectedly. We even have a small crowd circling us. I wish I could say it's because of our amazing skill play, but it's because of the back and forth bickering between the two teams. After winning the first game, Aiden declares that it's going to be the best out of three. I agree almost instantly. The guys are good, but it turns out Maisie is better. She's really carrying me here. Both teams are tied for now, each winning one game. This is the last game. Who knew a game of beer pong can get so serious?

The chances of us winning are slim. The boys have only one cup left, and it's their turn. Tension is escalating in the room. Everyone’s eyes are fixed on Nate's throw. I cross my fingers as the ball moves across the table.

Ping, ping, ping.

And it misses the cup.

I absolutely love this game. I love lady luck even more today. Maisie lets out a celebratory scream while Aiden pats Nate on his shoulders, “You girls haven’t won yet. Keep it low.”