39. Azzurro Vanel

The eerie silence enveloped the room, suffocating any sound that dared to break through. Vanel's heart pounded in his chest, the absence of noise echoing louder than any battle cry. No cheers of victory. Only the oppressive stillness that hung in the air like a shroud of death. His grip tightened around the Phantomhive boy with his around his throat in a chokehold, a desperate attempt to shield himself from the unknown threat lurking beyond the door. The boy's struggles were futile against the restraints that bound him, not that he could run away to begin with. Not with his wrists and ankles tied up.

Vanel knew that danger was near, lurking in the shadows, waiting to strike. And he was determined to face it head-on, no matter the cost.

The lad fought against his restraints, but his efforts were feeble. Following the merciless thrashing Vanel had administered, he lacked the vigor to resist. It was futile for him to strive, for once Vanel got the key, the boy's demise was inevitable. Should Vanel opt to spare his life, he would still be traded on the illicit market for a handsome sum. A comely youth such as him would fetch a hefty price from the highest bidder. Despite his singular eye, Vanel was confident that certain buyers would overlook such a flaw. Their sole concern would be the lad's physical form and what lay between his thighs. By the heavens, Vanel himself didn't object to indulging in some amusement with the Phantomhive boy before parting with him. Given his youth, it would prove challenging to discern whether he remained untouched. It would serve as a stern warning to any who dared to defy Azzurro Vanel.

The eerie creak of the door swinging open interrupted his mind, causing Vanel to swiftly raise his weapon towards the doorway.

A man entered the study. Vanel frowned in confusion. What the fuck?

It was the boy's butler. Sebastian Michaelis.

"I've come to retrieve my master," the butler said with a bow.

"Is this a joke?" Vanel asked in disbelief.

"I'm afraid not, sir."

"I was expecting an army, not a scrawny butler in a tailcoat. Where is the rest?"

"It's just me you need to worry about. Now, I request you return my master and everyone leaves unharmed."

Vanel scoffed. Unbelievable. He thinks he can come into my home and order me around. What a joke. "Yeah, sure. It doesn't matter, anyway. I have no intentions of fighting a dandy like you. Not yet, at least. I only want what's rightfully mine." He yanked Ciel around and pointed his gun to his head. "So, you better have what I asked for. Now."

Sebastian smiled. "Why of course." He pulled out a large golden key from his breast pocket. The key to the storehouse. "It's right here -."

BANG!

Sebastian's life was abruptly shattered as an enigmatic assailant unleashed a hailstorm of bullets upon him. The first shot struck him with such force that his body was propelled through the air, a mere puppet in the hands of fate. The second bullet soon found its mark, followed swiftly by a third, and then a fourth. Each piercing projectile tore through his fragile flesh, leaving behind a grotesque tapestry of crimson stains upon his once pristine torso. Blood pooled beneath his shattered skull, seeping into the fibers of the carpet, staining it with the evidence of his untimely demise.

Ciel gasped. "Sebastian!" With a gasp, he turned his gaze towards the tattered painting, revealing the hidden figures of Vanel's henchmen lurking within. The artwork was but a facade, concealing a covert entrance for the guards to approach Sebastian without a sound.

Vanel let out a sinister laugh. The scheme had not unfolded as smoothly as he had hoped, but the butler lay lifeless before him. The key, the coveted key, was now within his grasp. No matter the agreement he had made with the Qing Bang, it was of no consequence now.