Part three

He couldn't have you and he knew it; too risky, terrible idea.

He could lose his job, lose the only thing that has ever given him a purpose.

What if his purpose had changed ?

Avoiding you was easy, much easier than being around you.
He wouldn't stop there, he couldn't. He had to make sure no one would get in between; in between something that didn't exist.

The silence was loud and it made you want to disappear.

"Fourteen." The sound of his heavy combat boots faded away, until you couldn't hear it anymore.

He knew you would understand, you did.

Your head hurt; confusion.

It was so tempting for him to see if you would do it, if you would walk right into his trap.

He was testing you, testing how far he could go. He wondered how long he could hold back.

Was this another punishment for being a liar ?

It could've been worse; you hoped.
It could get worse; you feared.

His behavior towards you always changed, it always fluctuated.
It was confusing, how did he know ?

He enjoyed seeing the confusion in your eyes, he enjoyed the dominance, the power.
You were so predictable, so gullible.

He almost questioned himself if you were doing it on purpose. Maybe you really did have no idea. He liked it even more.

He watched you from afar, you headed to the cafeteria, as he knew you would. He was desperate to see if you would go to him, if you would take the bait.

It surprised you that it wasn't as busy as usual. It should be full of people at this hour, especially after a session.

Your head hurt even more. Maybe you should stop drinking that tea you bought a few weeks ago, or maybe you were exhausted. Just tired from the amount of physical effort it took to train every day.

You sat in silence at an empty table, on your own; he wasn't there.
The food wasn't good, but better than nothing, you thought as you took another bite and forced yourself to finish the plate.

You were almost in a hurry to leave the cafeteria, was it your headache ? Or the apprehension to seeing him again?

You had no idea, but it was definitely a bit of both.

In any case, you ended up walking out of there.

Precisely twenty two minutes, he saw you again, leaving the cafeteria this time.
You were quicker than usual, was something bothering you ?

You headed to the medical bay, exactly how he expected you to.

It was too late for him, too late to stop. He was already in too deep, and he knew it.

Maybe he shouldn't have stalked your schedule, to avoid you of course. Or maybe you shouldn't have joined the military at all.

Surprisingly, the medical center wasn't different from yesterday, nor the day before. It reassured you, comforting you into the idea that you weren't crazy.

'Room fourteen.' You took a deep breath and thought twice; you probably shouldn't have come, but like the good friend you were, you couldn't resist.

"Excuse me, are you looking for someone?" The nurse asked with a smile, and a wave of relief washed over your soul.

"I'm here to see a friend," you replied, pointing at the door in front of you. "I heard he was in there."

She looked through her assortment of documents and nodded. "Oh, right," she looked back at you, "he'll be fine, just a few bruises and a broken nose."

It caught you off guard, making you weak to your knees.

Realization kicked in;

' Too much effort during training.'