Chapter Twenty: The Attic

Chapter Twenty

After a few days of x-rays, talking to the police and having my friends come visit me, I was able to go home. The doctor said I was able to go home, but I wasn't allowed to walk for a week. I had bandage tightened around my thigh and the wound wasn't completely healed which made it hard to walk.

I was currently curled up in a blanket laying in the hammock that was near my bed while my friends were surrounded in my apartment eating cookies.

"It's gonna be so weird without our Human Torch with us." Mike sighed picking at his sandwich.

I don't know why, but when we decided to be the fantastic four in the diner, everyone thought I should be Human Torch because even though Ember, Leo and I were the same age, I was the youngest according to month. They thought Ember should be Invisible Women even though she's popular and everyone knows her, Mike should be Thing because he's incredibly strong and Leo would be Mister Fantastic because he's freakishly flexible.

"Ya'll are so weird." Nico rolls his eyes sitting beside me. He lifts my legs and rest it gently on his lap.

"You'll get use to it." Mya laughs taking a bite of Mike's sandwich.

"Guys!" Ember yells coming out of the bathroom, her hair dripping wet. She was walking to the diner in the rain when a car passed by, splashing mud all over her. So, when she got here she took a shower and changed into my work clothes.

"Our shift starts in two minutes!" She says tapping her watch. Leo and Mike get up quickly and run to clean their dishes.

"See you guys later!" They all say ready to leave. Ember and Leo walk out the door first and Mike waits by the door for Mya.

"Jenna, if you need anything just call me, okay? I can make you food, or clean the place for you." Mya suggests grabbing her bag and jacket.

"Thanks Mya." I smile. She was always so nice! "You can stay with us if you want."

"It's okay. I have to go pick my sister up from daycare." She explains putting on her jacket. "I'll see you guys later!"

The door shuts behind Mike and Mya and Nico and I were left alone.

"What's wrong?" He asks as the hammock sways back and forth.

"Nothing." I wave it off. Nico looks at me, waiting for the truth. Damn it. "I'm pretty upset I can't work."

"Why?" He chuckles. "It's just work. A week, or more will be fine." He kisses my cheek.

"No." I shake my head. "You don't understand." I sigh.

"Care to explain, clumsy?" He rolls his eyes.

"Yes I will dickhead." I stick my tongue out at him. "My parents were never really that rich. My mom couldn't work because three years ago a car hit hurt and she hurt her right leg. My dad hardly worked because his company didn't give him enough hours. They did have a college fund for me, but the year before they died, we started struggling financially. My dad started working two jobs, I started working on weekends, but they had to start using some of my college money for our bills. After they died and Big Momma helped me sell my house, I was able to get some of my college money back, but not all of it. Since Big Momma took me in, I felt like I needed to help her out with the bills. So, not only am I working for my college funds, but I work to help Big Momma pay the bills." I sigh. Nico opens his mouth, but I continue talking. "Debby doesn't like it when I give her money, but I feel like if she didn't agree to let me live with her, I would be living with total strangers. She says I shouldn't be working this much and that she can help pay for my college, but I always refuse."