Chapter 1: Spending the night

Summer was here in the Mossy Bottom Farm. The time of season Bitzer especially looked forward to, half of the time that is; the other half he would spend mentally preparing for it. Not in a mean way, of course. Summer meant new adventures, shenanigains, and/or problems to solve with the help from the flock (the ones who may or may not have been the reason behind these things). But Bitzer was OK with that, mostly because the sheep somehow had a way to figure them out in time before the Farmer could ever find out.

One sheep in particular, however, never ceased to amaze him (but he would never say that out loud. Unless the day would come where he had a reason to, but he doubted the thought). No matter how difficult the problem was, he always had a way to fix it with a snap of his hoof (a talent that impressed Bitzer, honestly).

That sheep was Shaun, the leader of the flock. A smart leader but with a bad habit of letting his curiosity get the best of him. And when that curiosity did get the best of Shaun, Bitzer made sure to watch how it turned out in the end....Or just be the one to help Shaun get out of whatever he got himself into. Which happened a lot (although Shaun would disagree).

Being the farms one and only sheepdog, his schedule for the summer was always the same. Just like it was the same in the spring, winter, and fall.

Bitzer wakes up, brushes his teeth, rushes out his doghouse to greet the farmer because he doesn't have time to make breakfast, and then starts with his chores. Chores like: Taking Shaun and the rest of the flock out the barn and onto the field, feed all the animals, go inside and make the farmer his usual afternoon tea, go back outside to check on the animals, ect ect ect. Then once it turned 8pm: send the animals to bed, make sure the farmer has what he needs for the night and is satisfied with Bitzers completed chores, then finally return home to his doghouse and practically pass out from the long day.

This repeated cycle was something Bitzer was accustomed to. I mean, again, he was a sheepdog. As a sheepdog, he's the sheep's main protector and only dog they can depend on, which meant more work for Bitzer. Although, there were times where the farmer would step in and help the poor dog, but he didn't understand the sheep like Bitzer did so it really wasn't much help in the end; not to say the farmer didn't love the sheep, it just wasn't the same.

Today happened to be another of those 'ordinary' days for Bitzer. The farmer spent the day indoors while Bitzer stayed outside, supervising the farm as usual. Everything was at its usual. Or so Bitzer thought.

~Shaun's POV. In the Barn.~

As the sheep were already comfortably in bed, sleeping in their usual spots. Shaun would be the only one bunked beside Shirley for the night. It was a very kind offer coming from Shirley. He didn't have to do it since it technically was Shaun's fault he was in this mess.

The issue?

Shaun's bed was in need of its yearly new change of hay, which he had meant to replace this morning but forgot. Timmy's mother had lectured him about it once everyone settled in for the night, saying he 'would have caught a death of cold if he had forgotten to replace his beds hay in the winter'.

"Baa..." Shaun apologized, "You need to be more organized, Shaun." Timmy's mother bleated as she tucked Timmy in his bed. Organization wasn't the issue in Shaun's opinion. Shaun was just caught up in the intense game of soccer this morning between the rest of the flock that he didn't have time to get to fixing his bed... but it was on his nonexistent to-do list.