5 - Ben

The late afternoon sun cast a warm glow over the familiar clearing in the Whispering Woods. Lashanie sat perched on a moss-covered rock, sketching fantastical creatures in her notebook, while Varian fiddled with a disassembled automaton on the ground beside her. A comfortable silence settled between them, punctuated only by the chirping of birds and the rhythmic whirring of gears as Varian meticulously reassembled his creation.

Suddenly, the peace was shattered by the sound of boisterous laughter echoing through the trees. Lashanie looked up, a frown creasing her brow as a figure emerged from the undergrowth. It was Ben, her older cousin, his broad frame and swaggering gait unmistakable.

"Lashanie!" Ben boomed, his voice dripping with false cheer. "Fancy seeing you here, playing with your little... toys."

Varian glanced up from his work, his brow furrowing as he took in Ben's sneering expression. "Who is this?" he asked, his voice cool.

Lashanie shoved her notebook into her bag, a flicker of annoyance crossing her face. "This is Ben," she said, her voice strained. "My cousin."

Ben scoffed, his eyes narrowing at Varian. He sauntered closer, bumping shoulders with Varian roughly. "Seems you've made a new... friend, Lashanie," he drawled, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Does he know about your little... secret?"

Lashanie's hand instinctively flew to the locket nestled beneath her shirt, a tiny spark of magic pulsing faintly within. A wave of anger washed over her, but she forced it down, remembering the progress she'd made with her parents.

Varian, however, wasn't one to back down from a bully. He stood up, his gaze unwavering. "I don't know what your 'secret' is, but it's none of your business," he countered, his voice firm.

Ben snorted, a sneer twisting his features. "Oh, I think it very much is my business," he said, his voice low and menacing. "Especially if it makes Lashanie here a target."

He leaned closer, his voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper. "Those with magic never end well, Lashanie. You know that. Don't you?"

Fear threatened to bubble up within Lashanie, but she met her cousin's gaze head-on. "No, Ben," she said, her voice surprisingly steady. "I don't."

Varian placed a hand on her shoulder, a silent gesture of support. "She's right," he said, his voice filled with quiet determination. "Magic isn't a curse, it's a gift. And anyone who says otherwise is just... wrong."

Ben threw his head back and laughed, a harsh, grating sound that echoed through the woods. "Gifts get you ostracized, picked on, even killed!" he spat. "You wouldn't understand, outsider."

Lashanie felt a surge of protectiveness rise within her. Varian might be new to her world, but he had accepted her, magic and all. Ben, on the other hand, remained stuck in his narrow-minded fear.

"He understands more than you do, Ben," she said, her voice filled with newfound confidence. "And magic isn't something to be scared of. It's beautiful, and it's a part of me."

Ben's eyes narrowed, his face contorting in anger. He raised his hand, a cruel glint in his eyes. Lashanie flinched instinctively, bracing for a blow.

But before Ben could make another move, a loud whirring filled the air. Varian's automaton, now fully reassembled, sprang to life, its mechanical limbs whirring and its tiny metal eyes glowing brightly. It hovered between Ben and Lashanie, a miniature defender ready to face the bully.

Ben stumbled back, a look of surprise flashing across his face. He had never seen Lashanie stand up for herself like this, and the sight of the automaton, a testament to Varian's support, filled him with a sudden unease.