18 - 𝘊𝘢𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘤𝘶𝘵 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘪𝘳?

The morning light filtered through my window, casting a soft glow on the walls. I gingerly touched my bruised cheek, wincing at the pain. Last night had been a nightmare, but I had to push through it. I had to keep moving.

I dressed quickly, avoiding my reflection in the mirror after multiple attempts to cover my bruises. No matter how much makeup I was wearing, bruises were still on display.

The person staring back at me from the mirror looked defeated, and broken. I hated her.

At the cafe, Alby glanced at me with concern, but he didn't say anything. Maybe he sensed that I needed the silence, that words of sympathy would only unravel me. I focused on the routine—taking orders, making coffee, serving customers. Each task distracted me from the turmoil inside.

"Mila, third table," Alby called softly, his eyes lingering on my face. I nodded, grateful for his unspoken support.

"One latte and a croissant, please." a familiar voice said. I looked up to see Minho sitting there, looking hesitant. My heart skipped a beat. I had asked him to stay away, but seeing him now, I realized how much I had missed him.

"I'm sorry. I know you told me to stay away but—"

"Don't worry. I think I had enough time to think."

I forced a smile, trying to steady my hands as I prepared his order. When I brought it to his table, he reached out, gently touching my arm. "Are you okay?" he asked, his voice full of worry.

I swallowed hard, the lump in my throat was making it difficult to speak. "I'm managing," I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

"As long as you're breathing, right?"

"Right." I managed a poor smile and pulled my hand away.

I went back to taking orders, trying to not pay much attention to Minho, who was glancing at me every time I looked in his direction.

I was grateful he didn't ask me about my face. I knew Newt would ask and trying to think about excuses was frustrating.

"I'll take it from here, you go home yeah?" Alby smiled at me.

"But there's still an hour before my shift ends, Alby I can work, I'm fine!"

"Mila I know you're not fine. We all have hard days sometimes, don't we? There's nothing to be ashamed of." He smiled, waiting for me to take off my apron.

"Thanks, Alby." I smiled at him and took my bag.

"Don't mention it. Get rest and come back with a smile on your face after the weekend yeah?"

I nodded and left the kitchen.
I saw Minho and went up to him.

"Leaving early?"

"Yeah, Alby kinda forced me."

"Alby's a good one." He smiled, taking my bag from my hands.

The drive was silent. Not uncomfortable, but not so flattering either.

"I don't want to go home." I broke the silence as I looked at his face.

"Then we go to my house. Does that sound better?" He looked at me, a little smile forming on his face.

"Can you cut my hair?" I blurted out.

"Sure."

See that's what I loved about him.
He was by my side, not asking too many questions until he felt like he had to. It felt comforting, not having to make up different excuses for once.

❁❁❁❁

"You want layers or just chop it off?"