Battle of Psyche

Kali had got a tattoo that ran across her shoulders, it was a simple line design and suited her. Cassius had an old-style ship that he'd seen in one of his history books, he'd gotten it on his forearm and claimed he would slowly add to it, so by the end of initiation, it would be a full sleeve tattoo. Archie hadn't done anything, he wanted a piercing but decided not to before the fights were over. Smart guy.

At the moment, our mock fights were called early. Four clearly not wanting us to be too injured before the actual ones, although, Eric had made it very clear there would be no interruption from them on Monday. I was interested to see how I would fare in the proper fights, I tended to get hit just as often as I landed them, but I also knew I could take quite a few punches and keep going, I had a feeling it would change the outcome when Four wasn't deciding if I had taken enough.

"Delphi!" I noticed the girl about to head off and left the others behind to catch up with her.

She turned and regarded me curiously "Alright Persie?"

"Yea." I nodded, then gestured for her to continue walking, "I was just wondering what positions were available in Dauntless, and what they include. I would have asked Cassius, but he likes to screw with people and I kinda want a serious answer."

She snorted at that but then turned thoughtful. "Well, there's patrol, you join a squad and respond to problems in the city, like a factionless fight, or a fire. You can also become a squad leader but that's through promotion, not straight out of initiation."

"Sounds fair."

"You can also open a parlour, like tattoos and piercings, or a bar. Guarding the fence isn't a glorious position but it's another option. Then there are the leadership positions, which are only really open to the top of the initiates."

"That's Eric's position." It wasn't a question but she nodded anyway "What does he do?" I was rather curious what the young leader did and jumped at the opportunity to find out.

"Well Eric isn't the only leader, there are 5 positions currently, and they each oversee a part of Dauntless. If one dies, then one of the shadowing members take their place."

I frowned "So you can only become a leader if one of the others die?"

"Well no, not necessarily. But even if one did pass on, and you were ranked first in your class, their underlings would most likely be given priority, as they would have shadowed the leader, and were also probably first in their class."

I was quick to point out the first part of her comment "Not necessarily? So you can become a leader without waiting for another to kick the bucket?"

She sighed and came to a stop outside their training room, "It is possible if someone proposes another part of Dauntless life, that isn't already covered by one of the leaders, and they all vote it in, then yes, another leader can be elected."

"Has it ever been done before?" I was curious at the concept but also doubted it was easy to achieve.

"Eric was the first to be voted into a leadership position that wasn't already created. It's unlikely to happen again."

That was interesting, Eric was the first, and only, person to have permanently changed how Dauntless was run, no wonder he continually gave off confident vibes. Thanking Delphi, I left her to train and headed back to the barricades. It was only when I made it through the door, I realised I had forgotten to ask what part of Dauntless Eric oversaw.

ooOOooOOoo

Morning came and with it my first fight. Before breakfast, I made my way to the training room so I could see who my opponent would be. It was Jackson, a good match, we were both similar in build and both in the bottom-middle of the scoreboard. That would change though, whoever won the fight would move up and whoever lost would go down, I intended to be the former.