opening the box

After that night all the days seemed to fly by. We were thrown right into our new positions, myself Cassius, Thaddeus and Emma had chosen to go into the response patrol. Response patrol was split into a further three sections. We joined the squads for training and shadowed them in practically everything for two weeks each. First, there was fire, it was the one we started on, I shouldn't have been surprised when on our first day we stood at the bottom of the pit in a very familiar climbing location, thankfully I wasn't too shabby in the climbing arena. In saying that, witnessing the fire patrol scale the stone walls effortlessly and in under a minute, was a cross between inspiring and annoying.

Part of me was pissed I still had to deal with Thaddeus stupid face every day, I'd kind of hoped I would never see him again after enduring the gruelling months of invitation, but a different part of me took pleasure it shooting him smirks when I was clearly the best of us newbies climbing. Thaddeus didn't actually know how I'd survived my fall, so It was very amusing to let him believe I'd climbed the impossibly sharp and leaning walls of the chasm. Cassius hated climbing, I already knew that, hence why I'd dared him to climb the statue in school because, I was mean. He toughed it out, but I could definitely see the grimace on his face once his feet left the ground and he didn't exactly hide his discomfort huffing under his breath the whole time. "If God wanted us to be higher he would have shoved mushrooms through our veins." That comment had caused a squad member beside him to slip and nearly fall as she had startles herself with her own laugh, at least he got along with the squad and the seemed to like him.

Emma was very good at the climbing and when we moved onto heat endurance she seemed to do the best, I suspected she would definitely thrive in the fire patrol, but it was too early to tell if she would be best there or in one of the other two. The others were patrolling the city, different from the patrolling of factionless, factionless patrol fell under the station patrol, and was more stationary, hence the name, the guards tended to stick to their location and keep watch over it. Whereas patrolling the city was to ensure some Dauntless members was always fairly close to where an accident might occur and be ready to deal with the situation appropriately, cordon offthe area or break up a fight. The last squad we would shadow were the guards, bodyguards specifically, intended to protect leaders of other factions when trailing to another faction or going through the factionless sector. I was looking forward to all of it, I wasn't sure yet which path I would choose but I wasn't worried, I had time. Eric hadn't been around, it had only been a week of shadowing the fire patrol and he was a leader so it was hardly surprising. Each squad had a hierarchy, Cherry was the leader for fire, she was a spitfire, looking around 32 but very short and athletic. She had black hair with green streaks which were strangely cut short than the rest and tattoos danced up and down her arms, I couldn't always tell where the tattoo ended and her flesh began the strange blend into her skin tone was rather hypnotic. As the tattoos were a series of patterns and lines it made me dizzy to look at for long. Cherry was good and gave precise clear instructions, followed by a short demonstration and a summarised version of the instructions to get it in our heads. After that, we were on our own and expected to keep up. Archie and Zane had gone out to the fence for the week, to see what it was like to manage and guard, we hadn't heard from them yet and Cassius was becoming unbearable, or at least for me. I loved him but Jesus, he pouted at the wall whenever we got together and was solum and silent it was beginning to be quite draining, I'd taken to separating myself from my friends for a little while, they understood I was doing it so I didn't accidentally say something that might hurt their feelings none of us wanted to fight because tensions were high, I loved them a little bit more because they didn't demand time together that would only be detrimental to our friendship.

I'd been back to Kevin a few times but only to practice what I'd been taught, Kevin had pretty much shown me all he knew about knife combat and while I definitely enjoyed it, I was getting bored. With not much else to do I'd turned to the Trench but something held me back, I told myself the reason I didn't go was that I had lost a normal fight to Piri, which was partially true, I didn't believe I should even think about going into the Trench unless I could take out my opponent in a match blindfolded. Maybe that was a bit dramatic but I intended to stick to that decision and so I spent most of my time in the training room, training and then fighting in matches.