{Rewrite} Prologue: Somewhere Foreign

The Slayer feels weightless. Half-awake. A brief moment of consciousness before his lucidity is taken away from him once more. A moment just long enough for his mind to grasp the feeling of falling. And, just as soon as it came, his waking mind is thrust back into the hold of unconsciousness.

A voice rings out within his slumbering mind. The words spoken are clear, and precise.

"It is not the end of the great Doom Slayer. There is still hope for you. Find me near the end of this wretched realm, I will be waiting."

As the Slayer's eyes slowly open, his mind finally catches up with the rest of him, and his once drowsy state is violently replaced with extreme alertness. His eyes shoot open, and he darts up from the floor he once laid upon. His vigor returning as his senses are shocked to life, he gazes around at his surroundings. What appears to be inside of a stereotypical office building from the 21st century surrounds him on all sides. The same dull yellow caking the walls, and beneath his feet lies an oddly moist carpet. His movements causing it to squelch, and squish. Noticing the loud buzzing from up above, he tilts his head upward to identify the source. His eyes lock onto the rows of fluorescent lights attached firmly into the ceiling. muscle memory kicks in, and he begins to check over his equipment. Once thoroughly certain everything is still there, he begins his slow walk through this strange place. His mind begins to race. What was that voice? What is this place?

The halls stretch on as the heavy boots of the Praetor Suit collide with the wet carpet beneath them, the smell of old water lingering in the air, and filling his nose. But he doesn't care, he's dealt with worse, and this... maze will not stop him. He just needs a way out.

More walking, more squelching carpet, more buzzing florescent lights. Now, it was getting on his nerves. Does this place ever end? Then, an idea. He stops for a moment, and fixes his gaze onto one of the ugly yellow walls. Placing his armoured hand against it, he presses lightly. The wall bending in slightly under the pressure. With a furrow of his brow, and a bit more force, the wall gives way, and breaks. Opening a hole around the size of his fist. Well, that didn't work. Plan B: the floor.

With a loud stomp, the floor beneath him shudders, but holds its form. That didn't work either. Continue walking it is. Not even the radio works, just throwing out garbled static. No contact with anything, a seemingly endless maze, the constant buzz, the wet floor beneath your feet would wear down the sanity of anyone. Well, almost anyone. Not him, not the Doom Slayer. But, to say it wasn't getting on his nerves would be a lie.

{~~~~~~~~~~~}

Nothing. As the Slayer walked he expected at the very least to encounter something, anything, that would want to try its luck against him, but... nothing. Just the endless yellow walls to great him at every new hall, and every new turn. But then, he saw it. At the end of another seemingly repeating hallway lied a dark brown, wooden door. With renewed vigor, he changed coarse, and marched towards it. With a firm grasp, he grips the handle, and turns it. A metallic click, and a loud groan of metal suggest he might have accidentally damaged the mechanism. Not that he cared. 

Inside was a completely different area than that of the winding maze behind him. A brown room with intricate patterns decorating the walls, and a gorgeous veneer covering the floors, and ceiling. A single decorative light hanging above a table in the centre of the room. The table surrounded by various chairs, but what caught the Slayer's eyes the most was the document sitting atop the table. Upon approach reveals the cover. A symbol of a bird with outstretched wings with a a cube above it's head, with the letters "M.E.G." Underneath. Bellow that lied a simple announcement. One that made the Slayer raise a brow.

"Welcome to the Backrooms".