CHAPTER 17 ANOTHER GENERAL ELECTION

It's election time again. This time the Mafia gods are asking for the blood of a politician and the Mafias have pointed to one member of the house of Assembly that they detested so much.

They knew him to be stealing from the money put under his care in the financial position he is holding in the house.

So now that the gods are asking for a politician, no one else could be more fitting to be a sacrificial lamb.

They showed Johnny where the man lives and asked him to bring his blood in a bottle after assassinating him to be used for the ritual to appease the gods.

When Johnny arrives at the man's house at about 1 am, he quietly asked the man to open the door if he want to stay alive. He advised him not to try calling the police for the same reason. That he has a business to discuss with him.

After hesitating for a while, the man opened the door; Johnny used the mouth of his gun to push him further into the room as he locked the door after them.

You have ten minutes to give your last instructions to your family as you are about living them: Johnny said to Mr. Dickson: the politician. Mr. Dickson and his wife fell on their knees with teary eyes begging Jonny with a bag of money he brought out from his wardrobe before opening the door for Johnny. They kept begging Johnny to spare his  life.

I don't take money from those l am paid to kill: Johnny said to him as he turned his face away from Mr. Dickson but not his gun: his pump action that is now pointed to his heart. And then the sound: ki ki.

The numerous bullets from the submachine gun opened the heart of the politician. Oozing out blood in great quantity.

Johnny put the bottle under the flow of blood from the heart. When the bottle was filled with blood, he closed it with it's cover and walked out of the room. But not before advising his wife to call the police to help take her husband's corpse to the nearest hospital morgue.

On arriving at the hotel, Johnny presented the bottle of blood to the Mafias political war - lords at the hotel's parlour. As they were all jubilating, Johnny left them and went upstairs to receive his wages: a bag of money and a lady on his bed.

The next night would be the night of the ritual to appease the gods with the blood of the politician.

When the ritual night arrives, Johnny could hear men blowing flutes, singing songs and muttering incantations. No one cares to involve Johnny anymore. He has played his part by providing the  blood of the sacrificial lamb.

Despite all the sacrifices the Mafias political war- lords have been making, no Mafia have ever won the seat of the presidency. They have only won seats in the houses of Assembly and senate. But they have always been able to win the loyalty of the police chief. They believe it is made possible by the gods.

Now is the day of the general election. And as usual; loyal citizens of the country are on the line waiting to perform their civic duty.

Here comes Johnny again riding on a bike as a passenger carried by a Mafia while carrying his pump action: his gun covered by a piece of black cloth.

They started encircling the line; from the rear to the front. At the end of the circuit, came the sound: ki ki and a woman fell down from the line wallowing in cold blood. Seeing this, all fled the center for their lives as Johnny rod away and there was ample room for the Mafias to come and steal away ballot boxes.

Once again Johnny have assassinated his victim and fled uncaught.

The police would only appear when Johnny had disappeared. And any polling station that the Mafias mark out for operation, would not have security men, according to the tutoring of the police chief under the tutoring of the Mafias.

Now those hunting Johnny in nightmares have multiplied. To include the politician and the woman that he killed on the line.

The woman appeared to Johnny in a horrible nightmare. It was horrible to Johnny due to it's emotional impact. The woman was crying profusely and inconsolably saying; Johnny! Johnny! Why! Why did you not allow me to live to see my wedding the next Saturday! Why did you have to end my life before my greatest joy would come. Johnny why? Johnny why? She kept crying profusely in a nightmare that started Johnny out of his sleep and ended his sleep.

Johnny sat on his bed, brought out some cocaine to sniff  and turn the nightmare that was still moving  before him in a trance, into a movie that no longer involved him.

When Johnny fell back to sleep after sniffing the cocaine, he was sent out of sleep by another nightmare. This time, it was that of the politician ( Mr. Dickson) . Mr. Dickson appeared as he knelt down with his wife crying and begging Johnny with a bag of money to spare his life. An action that Johnny never wanted to see again; no wonder he shot the politician without looking at him.

So even with the cocaine, Johnny' s life remained miserable as an Assassin. The cocktail that he wished to keep enjoying while it lasted, was not more than the bag of money and the ladies by which he was rewarded by the Mafias political war - lords whenever he delivers. But now, while making love with the ladies, he sees those he murdered on the bodies of the ladies; turning his love making into a horrible experience. So Johnny was no longer enjoying his life as a notorious Assassin. But he continues to remember the Mafia's vow: once a Mafia always à Mafia!