Chapter 19: A Night To Remember?

Lukas knocked on Jesse's door, waiting for her to emerge. She had asked him to be her escort after he asked her to be his date, and things happened.

She opened the door, and what Lukas saw made his eyes go wide. It was, of course, a ball gown. He knew her mother wanted her to stick to the rules.

She was coated in lavender. Long sleeves that split out at the ends covered her arms, and the skirt was the same color, only except being covered in a lot of sequins. 

"Wow," That one word made Jesse blush a deep red.  She had to avert her eyes from his gaze because she was blushing so hard.

"Do...do you like it?" She seemed hesitant to ask.

"You're beautiful," Lukas said shyly, "inside and out."

"I was talking about the dress." She mumbled.

Lukas sighed, smiling. "I know, but I'd rather compliment you."

It was silent for a few seconds as they gaze dreamily at each other. "I think we should get down there, Writerboy."

He chuckled, extending an arm to the hallway. "After you, Princess." 

The blonde noticed instantly that she didn't like the title, glaring at him intensely. "Shut up."

"You started it." He fired back.

It was 500 staircases later (that's what it felt like) when they finally made it to the ballroom. Just an exaggeration though, it was way less than 500 stairs. The ballroom was already packed with people by the time they had arrived.

The other three Order Members were already there. Olivia wore more of those pencil dresses, and Axel was in a tux similar to Lukas's, the only difference was it was in green.

Petra was of course in shorts. She would never wear anything close to a dress. So, it was just her usual clothes, only it was glammed up a little, much to her annoyance.

"Hey, guys," Jesse murmured as they stepped down the stairs.

They didn't even answer back, Petra instantly pulling Jesse aside to a dark corner. "Wha-"

"Shh, before your parents notice you." She hissed, tightly gripping the girl's wrist.

"I don't understand-"

"You don't have to, all you have to do is avoid them." The redhead tilted her head at the large group of boys searching the room.

"They're all after- me?!" The raven-haired girl gulped.

"Well, not surprised. Isa would want to match you up with good status guys." Jesse glared at her. "What? It's the truth, and you know it."

Cold trickles of sweat seem to start running down her face. How were she and Lukas supposed to enjoy each other's company if these boys classified as handsome are hunting her down?

"You know, I could prank them? The suitors." Of course, the familiar mischievous smile was back.

"Petra- " 

"I know, I know. I just figured I'd offer. It's the matchmaker's job to help the match stay together." Petra held her hands up, the gleam of mischief lingering in her eye.

"Don't tempt me." The Wither Slayer warned, hurrying off to grab her blonde.

"You never let me have any fun!" She groaned.

"For good reason. Look at all the trouble your potion and the Idiots Award Show led to." Axel crossed his arms, being accompanied by Olivia as he conversed with the warrior.