ϟ 30 ϟ

PERRY 2.0

ϟ 𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝟏𝟏/𝟗/𝟏𝟐 ϟ

"WE'RE bionic," Adam interrupted.

Ellie went slack-jawed for a moment. What had he just done? She lost her breath. Where would they all go from here?

"I -- what?" she stuttered, closing her jaw and furrowing her brows in confusion as she crossed her arms, closing into herself.

"Adam!" Chase scolded sternly. His eyes were blown wide and his jaw now set as he approached his brother, as if to physically stop him from saying any more.

"What are you doing?" Bree fretted as she stood from her stool, anger etched across her features.

Adam just looked at his siblings, unsure of how to justify his actions. Ellie watched the siblings silently communicate in a moment of silence.

"He's right," Leo spoke up, reminding them all of his presence. "We can't hide it from her forever. Adam, Bree, and Chase are bionic."

"I -- I don't even -- what is --" Ellie began to stumble over her words, not having thought this through. She had come to dismiss what she had saw, convince her friends that she suspected nothing. She hadn't imagined this outcome. She was torn between attempting to stop them and acting confused. Her lack of decision forced her to go with the latter.

"We wanted to tell you, we really did, but --"

"You guys don't need to-" Ellie began to laugh awkwardly, trying to recover from the unintentional damage she had done.

"No, we do," Leo spoke decidedly. Ellie was floored. "Davenport gave them superhuman bionic abilities. It's kind of like the heroes from your comics, except it's just really advanced tech. Adam is really strong, Bree is really fast, and Chase . . . is really nerdy."

Ellie would have laughed if she wasn't shell-shocked.

"I do other stuff," Chase seethed.

"I don't understand," Ellie spoke, her voice smaller than the three bionic teens had ever heard it. She was scared, and her fear was showing.

Bree misunderstood, walking over to the girl and taking her hands in her own softly as she met her gaze with comforting eyes, "No, you don't have to be scared, Ellie. We use our bionics to help people. We go on missions, we save people. We won't hurt you."

"Why are you telling me?" Ellie asked, to Bree, to Adam, to everyone.

"You've been there for us ever since we went out into the real world. You and Leo have been our only friends," Chase spoke sincerely.

"I'm sorry I lied to you, and kept secrets and made you feel like you weren't important. You are, Ellie," Leo was looking down at his shoes in a mood almost resembling shame.

Ellie was at a loss for words. What did you say to your friends who have just told you their biggest secret -- one you've already known about for months?

"I don't know -- why -- are you -" Ellie stuttered, tears of frustration brimming in her eyes. She looked over at Adam with eyes that begged for help, but she knew even he couldn't give her anything. "Leo," she pleaded, turning to her friend in despair, even though he couldn't help either.

"I know it's a lot to take in.  We wanted to tell you, really. But there's stuff out there that we don't even know how to fight, so we couldn't risk putting you in danger. You can't tell anyone about this. For their safety and for yours. You have to promise, Ellie," he spoke seriously.