22 | Vulnerable

DecemberBangalore, India

December
Bangalore, India

Samaira's POV

"Aira?" My spine straightens hearing the familiar voice. I turn around to look at the open door of the meeting room where Aryan stands, surprised to see me.

"Aryan," I say, equally surprised to see him here, though I half expected it. Since this is the CBI office and Aryan works here, there was a chance I might run into my fiancé.

"What are you doing here?" he asks, walking closer, and removing his cap. The way he looks in his police uniform distracts me for a second. His hand casually comes to rest on the back of my chair as he looks between me and his indirect colleague, Santhosh.

"I collaborated with Santhosh three months ago for an excavation. They called me in for a discussion about it," I explain briefly, my eyes taking in Aryan's form, noticing the absence of bandages or casts.

It's been more than a week since we had a proper conversation. After the attack at his house, things have been strangely awkward between us. We haven't called or texted each other, and we haven't seen each other until today. Aryan, who usually initiates a conversation when something is bugging me or when there's awkwardness between us, hasn't done that either. It's like we're both still processing what happened that night and adjusting to how Aryan's life has changed. To be honest, I don't like this invisible barrier between us. It feels like we've unconsciously distanced ourselves from each other.

"Oh," he says, looking between us. "Yeah," I say with a tense smile.

"I'll meet you after the discussion, then," he says, glancing at Santhosh. He pulls his hand back from my chair, and I suddenly feel a coldness at my neck.

"Sure, sir," Santhosh answers. Aryan nods to him and gives me a brief glance before walking out, closing the door behind him. I stare at the closed door for a few seconds before turning back.

I clear my throat and turn the pages of the document in front of me. "You know each other?" Santhosh asks, and I can hear the curiosity in his voice. I give him a curt nod, and he doesn't pry further.

"So, where were we?" I ask, looking up, and we continue our discussion.

The meeting continues, but my mind keeps drifting back to Aryan. Seeing him stirred a mix of emotions in me. The distance between us since the incident feels like a chasm I don't know how to cross. I miss Aryan. I miss the way he always knew what to say, how he could make everything right. The silence between us now feels unnatural, gnawing at me.

Santhosh talks about the excavation details, and I nod mechanically, my thoughts elsewhere. When the discussion finally ends, I gather my things, trying to refocus. As I step out of the meeting room, I glance around, hoping to see Aryan. I find him in the hallway, talking to someone with his back towards me. I immediately walk over without thinking twice. Just as I get close, I see Vivek, and my face goes blank. He notices me, his eyes narrowing, and I smirk. It looks like the hatred is mutual.