27 | Awkward

December, IndiaBangalore

December, India
Bangalore

Samaira's POV

It takes a moment for Aryan's words to sink in. "Wh-What?" I stammer, still trying to comprehend the situation. Aryan nods, his eyes distant, as if he's struggling to process everything himself. "How? How did you find out? I thought Karthik was your colleague?" I ask, my voice tinged with disbelief and urgency.

I can't believe Karthik would do such a thing. Yes, they had disagreements and maybe didn't always see eye to eye, but they were still on the same team, working towards the same goals. It just doesn't make sense.

"That night, when I shot the attacker's leg, I noticed blood splattered on the pavement as I was seeing you off," Aryan explains, his voice steady but filled with a quiet intensity. "I collected a sample and sent it to the forensic lab. The results confirmed it was Karthik's." My heart races at his words, a mixture of shock and fear gripping me.

"Are you sure?" I ask, my voice barely above a whisper.

"Yes," Aryan replies, a bitter laugh escaping his lips. "Even I hoped it was a mistake. But when I confronted Karthik, he...he admitted it." His eyes meet mine, and I'm momentarily at a loss for words.

I can't believe this is happening. The same man who saved me earlier today, who seemed so trustworthy, was also the one who attacked Aryan.

"I'm so sorry," I whisper, my voice thick with emotion. I wrap my arms around him, holding him close. For a moment, Aryan is still, then he gently embraces me, pulling me into a cocoon of warmth. "I didn't expect this from him, Aira. It hurts," he murmurs, his voice breaking in the darkness. I hold him tighter, wishing I could take his pain away.

As I cling to him, a storm of emotions rages inside me. The truth I've been hiding, the lies I've told to protect him—it all feels like it's closing in. I bury my face in his shoulder, fighting back tears. My hands ball into fists, nails digging into my palms as I try to keep my composure. I move onto Aryan's lap, seeking comfort in his warmth, and he holds me gently, letting me stay close.

After what feels like an eternity, I pull away to look at him. My hair falls in messy strands around his face, and he tenderly tucks them behind my ears. We gaze at each other in silence, saying nothing.

Then something shifts. Maybe it's the energy in the room or the warmth between us, but suddenly, my gaze drops to his lips. I wonder what it would feel like to kiss Aryan. I've never kissed anyone before, so I don't know how it works, but the thought of it makes my heart race. Wanting to be closer, I lean in until our lips are just a breath apart. We can feel each other's breath.

"Aira," Aryan's voice is husky, with a hint of uncertainty. His tone snaps me back to reality, and I jump up, instantly creating distance between us.

"I should probably go. Sorry for disturbing your sleep," Aryan says, clearing his throat. I'm horrified by what I almost did, and he seems to sense my discomfort. "Thanks for—" he starts, then stops, remembering our pact not to thank each other.