Chapter 26 - Separation

The ride back to Calaneth was a solemn affair, the air was thick with loss and the recruits were tasked with giving the bodies back to the families of the fallen. At least those that were left. Mara thought that they were given the hard job, but it was nothing compared to the senior scouts that had to deliver the tragic news empty handed. She and Sasha wheeled the cart through the streets, dropping off the bodies to mourning families. They were cursed at, embraced tightly by crying women and offered what little comfort they could muster. Mara's words felt empty to her own ears, but she didn't know what else to do. Riding with the empty cart back to headquarters was somehow worse.

"I don't want to do that again," Sasha said, she shivered once as they sat in the empty cart.

"Not the most noble job," Mara said, "but necessary."

Sasha nodded, resting her chin on her knees.

"I'm glad we all made it," she whispered.

"Yeah, I don't want to be the one to take your body home, Sasha."

"I think it's the only way I will go back," Sasha said bitterly.

Mara looked at her face as she stared forlornly at the floor of the cart that shook over each rock and dent in the path. Sasha had told her about her home, the way she had left to become a soldier, and how she wasn't exactly welcomed back. Mara's heart ached for her, there is a particular type of torture to have a home that you cannot return to.

"Hey," she said, softly, "it's been years, I'm sure your family would want you back. They'd probably be happy that you are alive at all."

Sasha shrugged.

"Maybe," she said, "but the way I left... I'm not anxious to go back."

Mara took Sasha's hand and squeezed it.

"If you change your mind, I'll come with you."

"Thanks Mara," Sasha smiled at her.

Exhausted physically and emotionally from the day's activities, the two girls leaned against each other in the rickety cart, the smell of death still clung to the wood, but they found comfort in each other. The sun set below the horizon, casting an orange glow over them as they reached the headquarters. After they had packed away the cart and led the horses to the stables, Mara found Jean waiting for her just outside the entrance.

"Mara," he called to her.

"Hey stranger," she said, a tired smile on her lips. It had been a long day, but it was good to see his face again.

"I've got news," he said, seriously, cutting their banter short, bracing her, or himself, for it.

"Bad news?" Mara asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

Jean grimaced, hesitant to answer.

"I've got to go to Stohess," he said, finally.

"The interior?" Mara asked, confused, "why?"

"Armin thinks he has a lead on... he has a plan."

Mara's eyes widened. The scout's failure in the 57th Recon Mission had been big talk amongst the recruits, apparently Commander Erwin was under pressure from the Premier to produce results and prove Eren's worth. Eren had already been recalled from the Scout's custody and Mara couldn't help but worry about him all alone in the interior.

"Eren?"

"We're joining him, I think Commander Erwin is hoping for a win before we have give Jaeger up."

"So, what's the plan?"

"I can't... " Jean sighed, "I can't say."

"What? Why?" Mara asked, "I can come with you."