Chapter 24 - Trepidation

Reiner walked back to the boy's dorm, nursing another migraine. He hadn't had one this bad in so long, he wondered what it was triggering it. The stress of the looming expedition? Endless late nights? Or was it something else.

"Reiner," Bertholdt called to him. He held up a folded piece of paper.

"Annie," Reiner breathed, taking the letter.

As Reiner read the words, his head cleared, and his hazel eyes went hard. They were warriors. They had a job to do, and he'd be damned if he let anything stop them. Not now that they were so close.

"Bertholdt, it's time to go home."

*

The days leading up to the expedition were gruelling and tough. The new recruits worked hard to prepare for their first real mission. The scout leaders seemed intent on pushing them to their limit, urging them to surpass it, giving them pointers and feedback at every turn, as if they were never fast enough, never strong enough, never good enough.

"Damn, we're good at this."

Sasha laughed at Mara as they sparred, swords making a ringing clang with each impact as they kept their footwork in tandem, taking a step forward as the other stepped back.

"We've only been practicing a month," Mara drawled, but she couldn't help but smile back.

They had only trained in hand-to-hand combat during their time at the cadet training grounds, but nifty sword work was essential to survival as a scout. Commander Erwin had trialled fencing as a training effort and it yielded a higher survival rate amongst those who participated, now it was a mandatory practice, not only sharpening their skills with a blade but also improving their lightness on their feet.

Sasha smirked at Mara as she changed the rhythm of their synchronised dance, moving her left foot to the side in a routine she usually move her right foot forward. Mara quirked a brow and responded in turn, stepping to the right to dodge and deflect a blow from her left, then stepping forward to swing her sword to Sasha's face.

"Touche," Sasha said, yielding raising her hand in surrender as Mara held the cool blade close to her cheek.

"Switch partners!" Ness called out, "offence move one to the left."

With a wave of her hand, Sasha moved to the right where Connie was waiting, unleashing a high battle cry as he saw her approach. Mara rolled her eyes and sheathed her sword, ready to start fresh with her new sparring partner as he stepped in front of her.

Brown hit gold, as Reiner stood before her, meeting her eye. Mara nodded stiffly and placed her hand on the hilt of her sword, ready for the go-ahead.

The constant late nights and aching limbs kept Mara from venturing to her, their, spot by the river. It had been a few days since she'd spoken to him, and Reiner's demeanour has regressed to cold and irritable; she watched him during practice while he huffed with each mistake made by their peers and stared coldly as he received feedback from senior scouts. He looked at her now as if she were just another recruit, an opportunity to practice on. For reasons she couldn't explain, disappointment stung her chest.

"And... begin!"

Reiner and Mara swiftly drew out their swords swinging it to their sides before Reiner stepped forward moving to strike her left side. Mara moved back, deflecting the blow with her blade, pushing him away from her, forcing him to step back as she stepped forward. They repeated the move, this time Reiner striking her right side. Mara moved forward into his space, battling against his forceful blows by bracing her right foot beside his.