【Chapter 13】

❝𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐞𝐧𝐝, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐲 𝐛𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐡.❞

❞

The sky above was gloomy and unmoving—the Earth's sun now shying beyond the curtain hung so very low to the ground as even the light posts could barely give light enough to shed away from the dreary atmosphere. Today was dull... that was clear. Letting out a shaky breath, (Y/n) waved goodbye to Light as she calmly watched them walk away.

"That woman... lied to Light. That was not her real name—how funny..." Whispering this privately to Ryuk's ear, (Y/n)'s eyes wavered away from the sight as she wandered the other way. (Y/n) had no other good reason for walking along with both Light and Naomi... (Y/n) knew that the poor boy wasn't an idiot, and he would eventually figure things out on his own. Indulging him would be... unnecessary.

Ambling serenely along with Ryuk, (Y/n) stuffed her hands within the pockets of her jacket as the somber atmosphere called for a chilly evening. It wasn't that she was cold... it was just that she wished to seem cold. Maybe then she would appear more human—albeit (Y/n) shunned to admitting it. Thinking back on the events that occurred today, (Y/n) didn't know what to think... she knew she had promised Light that she would aid him in the best of her wishes, but... At the same time, the thought of leaving Light to be burned and killed was far too enticing. Although against the orders of her King, (Y/n) wanted to see Light panic as control slowly slipped from his fingers... Just for satisfaction.

Sensing that Ryuk was about to touch her shoulder, (Y/n) smacked his hand away before speaking up in a rather relaxed tone. "What is it? Ryuk—you better not say any stupid shit..." (Y/n) said exasperatedly—she detested when others disturbed her when she was thinking... Especially at such a time. Chuckling in delight at the snappy attitude of his dearest "friend", Ryuk floated over to her side before leaning down towards her height. "You seem distracted—what's the matter? Is that little mortal really making you worry...?" Frowning at the thought of his dearest "friend" being sidelined by a mere boy, Ryuk almost groaned in distaste until (Y/n) let out a muffled sigh in response.

"... Ryuk. You are a pain in the ass, you know that...?" Glancing over to him as she said that, (Y/n) felt their hardened expression soften at the sight of Ryuk trying to make ridiculous faces in order to cheer her up. "Hey—cheer up! At least you have an ass... I guess that's pretty good...!" Ryuk laughed as he saw the slight smile slip past (Y/n)'s features. Ryuk slung an arm over her shoulder as the two began to look forward.

"Look at the sky! Someone must have died today—isn't that reason enough to celebrate? Another reaped soul, another golden emblem to our lives! With each life lost to our hands... the sweeter the world becomes!" Snickering like a lunatic at his words, Ryuk peered down over at (Y/n) as he managed to break a smile onto her face. Cheering in his head, Ryuk ruffled up her hair before (Y/n) gave his hand a gentle nudge away. "You're right... you're right, Ryuk... Truly a blessed day..." (Y/n) uttered as a chuckle escaped her parted lips.