Prologue

The musician under the street lamp had been there all night. It was midnight now, and he knew he'd better move on before a cop came by and told him so. Nobody had complained, nobody ever complained when he sang (well, not since...), but there were rules about such things.

He scooped up the money from his instrument case, pocketed it, and put the instrument back. With one last look around the sparsely populated streets, he started walking. He'd been in this particular city for a few days, and he could stand to be in it a few days more. Maybe tomorrow he'd set up in a richer part of town, along the river where people walked at leisure on their work breaks and kept their wallets with them. He'd have to clean up a little for that, maybe even brush his hair.

It was too late now to get dinner, so he just kept on walking. It would take all night to get to his destination on the other side of the city.

As he walked by a park something stirred in the dark trees. He thought nothing of it until a humanoid shape emerged from the shadows. He kept walking while searching in his pocket for his knife. Something about the figure made his scalp prickle. A whispery voice emanated from the figure.

"Maglor?"

He stopped, keeping his head straight but looking at it from the corner of his eye.

From the shadow of where a face should be emerged a smile with teeth too many and too sharp. "Maglor, I thought it was you, I haven't seen you for so long. Not since the wars." As it spoke it came closer.

He whipped towards it, flipping the knife blade out. "Who are you?" Looking at it head on, he could see now that there were no discernable features on its lanky frame, except for its mouth. "What are you?" He asked again.

"You probably don't remember me, but we met a long time ago, on the battlefield. Can't remember which one, they all blurred together during the War."

"Which war?" He snapped.

It tilted its head. "The War of Wrath, of course." It looked around. "I have to go now, but it was good to see you, Maglor. He'll be glad to hear of this."

As the figure melted back into the shadows, he summoned his wits enough to yell after it, "Who will be glad? Who are telling this to?" But it was gone.

The sun turned the night sky gray before he was able to move from the spot and be on his way.