Chapter 6

Nova sat alone on the rooftop of her apartment building, the city of Brookhaven sprawled out beneath her. The evening sun cast long shadows across the skyline, painting everything in shades of orange and pink. She often came here to think, to find some peace amidst the chaos of her life. Today was no different.

As she stared out at the horizon, her mind wandered back to the recent events that had brought her and her friends back together. So much had happened, and yet there was still so much left unresolved. She sighed, running a hand through her dark hair, and tried to sort through her thoughts.

Her phone buzzed in her pocket, jolting her out of her reverie. She pulled it out and saw a message from Enna.

Enna: Hey, how are you holding up?

Nova smiled faintly. Enna always knew when to check in. She typed a quick response.

Nova: I'm okay. Just thinking.

A moment later, Enna replied.

Enna: Want to talk about it?

Nova hesitated, then sighed. Maybe talking would help.

Nova: Yeah, actually. Meet me at the coffee shop?

Enna: On my way.

Nova slipped her phone back into her pocket and stood up, stretching. She took one last look at the city before heading downstairs. The coffee shop was only a few blocks away, and the walk gave her more time to collect her thoughts.

When she arrived, Enna was already there, sitting at their usual table with two steaming cups of coffee. She waved Nova over with a warm smile.

"Hey," Enna greeted as Nova sat down. "You look like you have a lot on your mind."

Nova nodded, taking a sip of her coffee. "Yeah, I do. It's just... everything that's happened. It's been a lot to process."

Enna nodded sympathetically. "I know. It hasn't been easy for any of us."

Nova took a deep breath, trying to put her feelings into words. "I keep thinking about what we've been through. The battles, the losses, the moments when it felt like we wouldn't make it. And now, even though things are calmer, I can't shake the feeling that something big is still coming."

Enna reached across the table and squeezed Nova's hand. "We've been through a lot, but we've always come out stronger. Whatever comes next, we'll face it together."

Nova smiled, appreciating Enna's unwavering support. "I know. It's just... sometimes I wonder if we're doing the right thing. If we're really making a difference."

Enna nodded thoughtfully. "It's natural to have doubts, Nova. But think about all the people we've helped, all the lives we've touched. We may not always see the impact we have, but it's there."

Nova took another sip of her coffee, feeling a little lighter. "You're right. I guess I just needed to hear that."

They sat in comfortable silence for a while, each lost in their thoughts. Eventually, Nova spoke again.

"Do you ever wonder what life would be like if none of this had happened? If we were just normal people living normal lives?"

Enna chuckled. "All the time. But then I remember that our experiences have made us who we are. I wouldn't trade that for anything."

Nova smiled. "Yeah, me neither."

They finished their coffee and decided to take a walk through the park. The evening air was cool and refreshing, and the sounds of the city faded into the background as they strolled along the tree-lined paths.

As they walked, Nova felt a renewed sense of purpose. She may have had doubts, but she knew that she and her friends were on the right path. They had come too far to give up now.

"Thanks for being here, Enna," Nova said after a while. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

Enna smiled warmly. "We're a team, Nova. We'll always have each other's backs."

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting the park in twilight, Nova felt a sense of peace settle over her. Whatever challenges lay ahead, she knew she wasn't facing them alone. And with friends like Enna by her side, she felt ready to take on the world.d.