Okay ?

Recently, through late nights of thinking and tears, and reading, and conversations listened upon and conversations had, I've come realize something about myself. The first thing we ask a person, when we notice something is wrong is, "Are you okay?" Which makes absolutely no sense. Yes, the tears running down my face and the very obvious depressing cloud that seems to consume me means that I am OK! (please note that I am an extremely sarcastic person) In all actuality, I will be truthful with whoever has decided to take time off from their day to read a small rant from a sad girl. I am not okay. I noticed tonight, the first time I've been alone in a while, how very "not okay" I am.  Though, I continually say that I am. Why do I insist on preserving others thoughts, and feelings, and putting their comfort before my own? I feel as though by doing this, we try and make our little world brighter, happier, calmer. When in reality we are digging the hole deeper, our very own grave. I believe this is my first not-poem in this collection of things that sadden, and of things ignored by the general populace, that tries to focus on only the outer shell. how unfair is it that I have to say " Yes! I am fine!" preserving their smiles, while hiding behind my own?