18~ This doesn't look shady at all

Owen

As we eat lunch Maize explains where the fourteen teller is. Once we finish eating Maize wastes no time leading us to said teller.

Spending the day with Maize makes me realize why Lainey and she are best friends; they complete each other.

Maize finally stops in front of a dark blue tent.

Great this doesn't look shady at all.

"You went into this tent as a child," I ask Lainey.

She smiles, "Yes, because unlike you, I wasn't a chicken at a young age."

I roll my eyes, "I was not a chicken."

Maize scoffs as she pushes the tent flap out of the way, "Who said you're not still a chicken?"

Lainey laughs, "You walked into that one."

I sigh and follow the girls inside.

Inside it's dark and looks exactly what you would expect a fourteen tellers' tent to look like. shelf with fake crap for you to buy and a counter with a small register, behind the counter are more shelves and books. I would bet fifty bucks that at least half of the books are blank.

Maize walks to the counter and rings a small bell, the sound echoes through the tent. "Why do I feel like she just summoned the devil?" Lainey whispers.

I laugh and Maizie looks at me for a translation like she has been doing that all day. "Lainey just said she feels like you just summoned the devil."

"I'm sure it is a sound you recognize well," Maize says with a smirk.

Lainey cackles, "Bravo, I could have not thought of a better comeback."

I roll my eyes and a woman with frizzy white hair walks through curtains in the back, "You rang me," She draws.

Her skirts swish as she walks, and I see Maize swallow, "We are here about a wish you granted a few years ago."

The woman waves for her to continue, and Maize looks at me for help. I shrug, I don't know how to explain our situation.

"My friend is in the hospital currently in a coma, but Owen here seems to be able to see her as if she's here and not in a comma," Mazie says, her face as white as the woman's hair.

"And what does this have to do with me," The woman asks coldly.

Maize rubs her necklace in between her fingers, "Well, my friend had made a wish that was supposed to come true on her 18th birthday."

"A wish I granted her? "The woman asks.

Maize nods, "At a school carnival."

A horrible smile crosses the woman's face, "Ah, I remember you."

I feel Lainey tense beside me, "Your friend had a very unusual wish," The woman adds.

Maize nods, "You see the wish sort of came true."

The woman's head turns upwards and she laughs.

And laughs.

And laughs.

"Oh, you are a funny girl," she says once she manages to calm her laughter.

Maize's face falls, "I'm not joking."

The woman leans forward, "No wish I granted could ever come true, I'm not a damn genie, I can see the future, but I can't grant a wish."

I sigh, "Then what the hell happened to our friend?"

Friend.

I just called Lainey my friend. Lainey must notice my choice of words because she moves away from my side and closer to the counter.

"Maybe the girl is dead and has unfinished business," The woman says dryly.

The second Lainey's hand touches the counter the woman stiffens, and her eyes go dark. "She here isn't she?"

"Wow, no shit," Maize says sarcastically.

Lainey glances at me, "Ask her if she can tell what I am?"

I look towards the woman and relay Lainey's question. The woman closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. After a few moments she opens her eyes and stares straight at Maize and me, "I need both of you to leave."

Maize's eyes widen and I feel a coolness settle over my chest, "Excuse me?"

She doesn't break the stare as she says, "What I have to say has nothing to do with the two of you."

Before Maize or I can argue Lainey gives me a pleading look. "I'll be fine," She whispers.

I run my hand through my hair, "She said for us to go."

Maize glares at me, "This is beyond fucked up."

I say nothing as we both exit the tent.

~~~~

Lainey

After Owen and Maize leave the woman gives me a teasing smile. "It seems that a wish I granted did come true."

I say nothing as I stare at her, "You're in quite the mess, little girl," She teases.

I sigh, "What do I do to normal again."

"I think you know what you have to do," she says as she picks lint off her clothes.

"No, I don't," I snap.

She sighs, "Every wish can be undone, you just have to know how."

"And how do I do that?" I groan.

The way her eyes snap up to mine makes me feel as if she can see straight through me. "You wished for a boy to finally be able to see you."

I waved my hand for her to continue, "You and I both know the wish you made was not that literal."

I nod, and she continues, "So to undo the wish you will need the boy to finally see you."

My mouth must be hanging open because she laughs, "You made your wish on a crescent moon so the wish may undo itself in two weeks on the full moon."

She smiles and it sends a chill down my spine, "But getting the boy to notice you seems more fun and you may get something out of it; he sure is a cute one."

I roll my eyes and leave. As I walk out the tent flaps, and she laughs, "Keep on living in denial, girl."

I am not living in denial, I do not and will not ever have feelings for Owen. Never.

The next full moon cannot come soon enough.

Sorry about the late post, this week just got away from me. Today, I did go to a flea market with my family, which was a lot of fun. I also had a Zoom call for my summer class I'm taking. So, I had to sit outside the flea market and take my Zoom call after I shopped.  The definition of fun. Especially, when my teacher asked where I was at. Luckily my teacher is the best and didn't care.

Till next time!