Prologue: It All Begins

(Please be warned, this is actually my first time making an argument between the Sonic crew, so it's most likely Out of Character and badly written...)

Smoke, thick and heavy, hung in the gray light of dawn. It swirled past the broken ruins of businesses and empty streets. It clung to those that struggled to stay standing, those surrounded by the crumbled remains of mechanical killers.

"I'll get you next time you idiot blue rodent!!" Unfocused emerald eyes drifted from the damage around him to the floating vehicle above the carnage.

"I'd like to see you try, Eggface." The reply was more instinct than choice. Coming out with a tired grin that was entirely fake. His normal response, the response that came out before he knew what he was doing. What he really wanted to do was lay down, curl up and forget everything that's happened and happening.

They won't be happy with his choice. He knew it was right, and maybe the reason seems selfish. But the world counts on him, so he had to make the choice. Because if he chose to..to..he wouldn't have forgiven himself. He wouldn't be able to hold off the constant flow of doubts and pain. He would drown in the sea of his emotions.

As it is, he barely is afloat.

He had to save him. It was the right choice.

They won't see it that way.

He's tempted to just run, run until they cool off and everythings okay and no one's angry at him. But he can't, too many need him here. And he's run for too long, (Running, don't stop running, don't turn into one of the bots.) He promised to face his problems and not run from them. So he had to stay.

He turned, and looked for the friend closest to him. A shuffle of rock behind him signaled Shadow digging himself out of the rubble. He limbed closer, careful of his busted ankle and the gash above his right eye, and started to help pull the rocks off the hybrid.

After a few minutes that felt much longer, Shadow finally emerged. Worse for wear, but okay for the most part. The black anthro nodded to Sonic, accepting the offered hand silently pulling himself off the pile of rocks.

"You ok?" His voice came out quiet, the confident tone used before gone. Shadow frowned at him, torn between being angry and understanding.

Wait...Understanding?

He was sure Shadow would be the angriest out of everyone, after all Shadow was pretty angry when he didn't let him take Mr. Tinker. He thought if anyone were to be furious with his decision, it would be his rival. Where was this understanding coming from?

"Yeah, you look pretty rough though." Shadow narrowed his eyes, looking at the blood soaking most of his fur. He wasn't even sure if most of it was his or not, he helped a lot of injured people flee the city...and his fur makes the blood stand out so bright. He shivered, the blood felt heavy on his fur. Like a weight that symbolized all that rested on his shoulders. It also made his queasy, the scent of copper making his stomach churn as he finally realized he was covered in blood not his own.

He swallowed and shook his head.

"I'm fine...the others though..." He looked around them, Knuckles keeping Rouge on her feet. Blaze leaning on Amy, who had a broken wrist. And Tails...wait..where's Tails?!

"He's with Silver." Shadow placed a hand on his shoulder, keeping him from panicking.

"Oh...right...where's Silver?"