Chapter Three: Unspoken Affections

Three months had passed since Meera and Vivaan first connected. The once daunting lockdown now seemed like a backdrop to their blossoming friendship. Their daily chats had become a routine, a comforting constant in the ever-changing world.

Meera settled into her favorite chair by the window, her laptop perched on her knees. She glanced outside at the lush greenery of Shimla, the early monsoon rains giving everything a fresh, vibrant look. She smiled as her screen lit up with a notification: Vivaan was calling.

"Hey, Vivaan!" she greeted, her face lighting up as his image appeared on the screen.

"Hey, Meera! How's my favorite chef doing today?" Vivaan replied with a playful grin.

Meera laughed, shaking her head. "I'm far from being a chef, but I did try a new dish today. Butter garlic prawns. I think you'd love it."

"That sounds delicious! You're going to turn into a professional cook by the time this lockdown ends," Vivaan said, genuinely impressed.

"Only if you promise to be my taste tester," Meera shot back, a hint of flirtation in her voice that made her blush slightly.

"Deal," Vivaan replied, his eyes twinkling. "I'll be the judge of your culinary masterpieces."

Their banter flowed easily, filled with inside jokes and shared stories. Over the past months, they had grown incredibly comfortable with each other, their conversations spanning from light-hearted fun to deep, meaningful discussions.

"Guess what happened today?" Vivaan said, his face animated with excitement.

"What?" Meera asked, leaning closer to the screen, genuinely curious.

"I finally finished designing my app! It's in the testing phase now. I can't believe it's actually happening," Vivaan said, his pride evident.

"Vivaan, that's amazing! I'm so proud of you," Meera said, her heart swelling with admiration. "I knew you could do it."

"Thanks, Meera. Your encouragement has meant a lot to me," Vivaan said, his voice softening. "I couldn't have done it without our late-night brainstorming sessions."

Meera felt a warmth spread through her at his words. She had come to cherish these moments, the way they supported and uplifted each other. She found herself looking forward to their conversations more than anything else.

"So, what's next on your agenda?" Vivaan asked, bringing her back to the present.

"Actually, I've been thinking of starting a blog to showcase my photography," Meera admitted. "I've taken so many pictures during this lockdown, and I'd love to share them with the world."

"That's a fantastic idea! Your photos are incredible. I'm sure people would love them," Vivaan encouraged.

"Thanks, Vivaan. Your support means a lot to me," Meera said, her voice tinged with emotion.

As they continued to talk, both Meera and Vivaan found themselves increasingly aware of the growing connection between them. There were moments of silence filled with unspoken words, lingering glances that held more meaning than they dared to express.

One evening, as they were saying their goodbyes, Vivaan hesitated. "Meera, can I ask you something?"

"Of course, Vivaan. What is it?" Meera replied, her heart skipping a beat.

"If... if the lockdown ever ends, would you... would you like to meet in person?" Vivaan asked, his voice tentative.

Meera's heart raced. "I'd like that very much," she said softly, a smile spreading across her face.

"Great," Vivaan said, relief and happiness evident in his eyes. "We'll make it happen."

As the call ended, Meera leaned back, her heart full. She couldn't deny the feelings that had been growing within her. Vivaan had become so much more than a friend; he was someone she deeply cared for, someone she wanted to know beyond the confines of their screens.

Across the country, in Mumbai, Vivaan felt the same. The thought of meeting Meera in person filled him with anticipation and nervous excitement. He couldn't pinpoint when his feelings had shifted from friendship to something more, but there was no denying it now.

And so, as the monsoon rains fell in Shimla and the city lights twinkled in Mumbai, two hearts beat in quiet unison, connected by an unspoken affection that neither had yet found the courage to voice. But in the depths of their conversations and the comfort of their shared silences, the promise of something beautiful lingered, waiting for the right moment to bloom.