|#15. The Engagement|

It’s the day of engagement, and Ruhana is in her room, getting ready for her D-day. It’s something that she has manifested for a few years. It never crossed her mind that their love would be so merrily accepted and that Vineet’s father would be more eager to take her home. She remembers his words from the other day when the two families went for dinner.

“Main toh chahta tha in dono ki shadi jaldi ho jaye, lekin in dono ka kaam bhi zaroori hai.”

“Isliye Ruhana beta, iss baar maine aur tumhare papa aur Ma ne tumhari baat maan li hai, lekin shadi mein aisa nahi chalega! Shadi hamari marzi se hogi, aur, aur tumhara shadi ka joda tumhari sasural se ayega. Agar Pallavi hoti toh vo ye sab select karti tumhare liye, lekin wo nahi hain toh tum aa sakti ho apna lehenga select karne.”

“Ishaan aur Vineet ka toh mujhe nahi pata, par haan, main chahta hoon Ruhana jaldi se hamare ghar aa jaye.”

A small smile graces her lips and her eyes are watery too. She doesn’t know why, but she feels a little melancholy at the moment. She’s glancing at herself in the mirror. She’s dressed in a pink lehenga, her hair open and with minimal makeup, she looks like an angel. Meanwhile, Ridhi comes by her side, arranges the mang tika amidst her hair, and then hugs her.

“You look pretty! Aaj toh Jeeju bhi aapse nazrein nahi hata payenge.” She teases her while Ruhana blushes.

“Aww, jeeju ke naam se hi aap toh sharma gayi! Haye! Jab jeeju aayenge tab kya karogi? Ab isse pehle unki nazar aapko lage, let me put a kaala teeka on you

“Aww, jeeju ke naam se hi aap toh sharma gayi! Haye! Jab jeeju aayenge tab kya karogi? Ab isse pehle unki nazar aapko lage, let me put a kaala teeka on you.” Saying so, Ridhi picks up the kajal pencil and makes a dot behind her ear.

“Ab thik hai! Ab kisi ki nazar nahi lagegi meri behna ko.” Ridhi hugs her.

Ruhana understands the unspoken words and emotions that Ridhi is hiding behind her smile. These two have been inseparable since birth, and Ruhana has seen Ridhi grow up. It’s nothing but an engagement, but there’s this lingering feeling that she’ll leave one home and walk into another. This is why they are happy and sad at the same time.

Meanwhile, Naina enters the room and gets emotional at the sight before her. She announces that the groom and his family have come, and a few friends of Vineet and Ronit make up their family. A smile graces Ruhana’s lips as she’s ready to go meet the love of her life. Well, for now, engagement is the primary goal for both Ruhana and Vineet. Ridhi escorts her into the hall room.