Part 1 - Cold front

Aveline Harper wiped a smudge of flour from her cheek as she peeked through the window of her cozy bakery. The morning sun bathed the small mountain town of Pinebrook in a golden hue, casting long shadows across the cobblestone streets. The scent of freshly baked bread and pastries wafted through the air, mingling with the crisp, cool breeze that signaled the end of summer.The bakery was already bustling with regulars—Mrs. Thompson was enjoying her usual cinnamon roll and Earl Grey tea at the corner table, while Mr. Patel chatted amiably with his wife over a shared scone. Aveline loved these moments, when the warmth of her bakery seemed to melt away the world's troubles, even if just for a little while.

The bell above the door jingled, and Aveline's smile widened instinctively as she turned to greet her newest customer. But her smile faltered when she saw who it was.Jared Harper, her husband, strode into the bakery with his usual cold, detached air. His impeccably tailored charcoal suit and polished black shoes were in stark contrast to the homely, inviting atmosphere of the bakery. He was a tall man, with sharp features, and a perpetual frown etched into his face. His dark hair was always perfectly styled, and his piercing dark eyes, though striking, held an unyielding chill.

Aveline's marriage to Jared had been arranged by their influential families five years ago. What was supposed to be a beneficial union for both families had turned into a prison of emotional distance. Jared, a successful but aloof lawyer, was known for his stern demeanor and cutting remarks. His cold-heartedness was a shield, a way to protect himself from a past that had left him deeply scarred.

"Good morning," Aveline said, forcing a brightness into her voice that she didn't feel. "What brings you here?"Aveline herself was a striking contrast to her husband. With her warm blue eyes and chestnut hair often pulled back into a loose bun, she radiated a natural, effortless beauty. She wore a simple purple dress under her flour-dusted apron, and her cheeks were perpetually rosy from the heat of the ovens. Her smile, though strained now, usually lit up the room and brought comfort to everyone around her.

Jared's gaze swept the room, briefly acknowledging the other patrons with a curt nod. 

"We need to talk," he said, his tone as icy as ever.

Aveline's heart sank. She had grown used to his abruptness, but it still stung. 

"Can it wait until after the morning rush?" she asked, glancing around at her busy shop.

"No," he replied flatly. "It's important."She sighed, wiping her hands on her apron.

"Fine. Let's go to the back."

As they made their way to the small office behind the counter, Aveline couldn't help but feel a pang of resentment. This was supposed to be her sanctuary, the one place where she could escape the cold, unyielding presence of her husband. But even here, he managed to intrude.She closed the door behind them and leaned against her desk, crossing her arms. 

"What is it, Jared?"

He stood tall, his hands clasped behind his back. 

"I've received some news that concerns us both."

Aveline's eyes widened in surprise. 

"What news?"

Jared's eyes, cold and calculating, bore into hers. 

"I've been offered a partnership at the firm. It means more responsibilities, longer hours, and potentially a move to the city."

Aveline felt a mixture of pride and dread. She knew how much this opportunity meant to him, but the prospect of even less time with him, and a move away from her beloved bakery, was disheartening."That's... wonderful for you, Jared." she said carefully. 

"But what about us? What about the bakery?"

Jared's expression didn't waver. 

"The bakery is your domain, Aveline. You can stay here and manage it. But I need to take this opportunity. Our arrangement must remain undisturbed."

"Our arrangement," she repeated bitterly.

 "Is that all our marriage is to you?"

Jared's expression softened just a fraction, a rare sight.

 "It is what it is. We both knew what we were getting into."

Aveline felt a surge of anger and frustration. She had long accepted that their marriage was one of convenience, a union arranged by their families to consolidate wealth and influence. But that didn't make the reality of it any easier to bear."Fine," she said, her voice tight.

"I'll support your decision. But don't expect me to be happy about it."

Jared simply nodded, as if the matter were settled.

"Fine, then I'll be home late tonight. There's a lot to prepare."

As he walked out of the office and back into the bakery, Aveline felt a tear slip down her cheek. She quickly wiped it away, refusing to let him see her cry. She took a deep breath, trying to regain her composure. The bakery needed her, and she wouldn't let Jared's coldness ruin her day.

But as she returned to her customers, she couldn't shake the feeling that something had to change. She was tired of living in the shadow of their "arrangement" and yearned for something more—something real. The question was, could Jared ever offer her that, or was she doomed to a life of cold indifference?