Part 4 - Shattered Hopes

The morning sun filtered through the curtains, casting a soft glow across the bedroom. Aveline awoke with a heavy heart, the memories of the previous night's loneliness still fresh in her mind. She glanced at Jared's side of the bed, already empty. The scent of freshly brewed coffee wafted through the house, a small reminder of the daily routine they adhered to, despite the emotional distance between them.
Aveline got up, dressed quickly, and made her way to the kitchen. Jared was there, impeccably dressed in a tailored suit, his hair neatly combed. He stood by the counter, sipping his coffee, his expression unreadable as always.
"Good morning," she greeted him, forcing a smile.
"Morning," he replied tersely, not even bothering to look at her.
Aveline busied herself with making breakfast, the silence between them growing heavier by the minute. She placed a plate of scrambled eggs and toast on the table, hoping for a moment of connection.
"Jared, I think we need to talk," she began tentatively as she sat down.
He raised an eyebrow, finally meeting her gaze. "About what?"
"About us," she said, her voice trembling slightly. "About how things have been between us. We can't keep going on like this."
Jared set his coffee cup down, his eyes narrowing. "And what exactly do you propose we do about it?"
Aveline took a deep breath, gathering her courage. "We need to communicate more, spend more time together. I want us to be happy, Jared, don't you understand that ? I want us to feel like a real couple."
Jared's expression hardened, his voice taking on a cold edge. "You think talking about our feelings is going to fix everything? Life isn't some fairy tale, Aveline. Sometimes, things just don't work out the way we want them to."
Aveline felt a pang of hurt at his words. "I'm not asking for a fairy tale. I'm asking for effort. For you to at least try to make this work."
He scoffed, shaking his head. "Effort? You think running a little bakery and playing housewife is hard work? You have no idea what real stress and responsibility are."
Her eyes widened, tears brimming. "That's not fair. You know how much the bakery means to me, how hard I work to keep it running."
"Sure," he said dismissively. "But it's nothing compared to the pressure I'm under. MY work actually matters."
Aveline's heart shattered at his callous words. She stood up, her voice rising. "How can you say that? We're supposed to be partners, supporting each other. But all you do is belittle me and make me feel worthless."
Jared's face remained impassive, his gaze icy. "If you're so unhappy, maybe you should have thought about that before agreeing to this marriage. We both knew what this was—a business arrangement, nothing more."
Aveline felt a wave of anger and sadness wash over her. "I thought we could make it more than that. I thought we could build something real together."
"Well, you were wrong," he said bluntly. "THIS , is reality. Not some romantic fantasy."
Tears streamed down Aveline's cheeks as she struggled to contain her emotions. "I can't believe how cruel you can be."
Jared shrugged, showing no remorse. "Maybe you need to toughen up, Aveline. Life isn't always kind."
Aveline turned away, unable to bear the coldness in his eyes any longer. She fled the kitchen, her sobs echoing through the empty halls of their house. She retreated to the sanctuary of the bedroom, collapsing onto the bed as the weight of her husband's harsh words bore down on her.
Downstairs, Jared remained at the kitchen table, finishing his coffee with an air of indifference. He felt no remorse for his words, convinced that he was simply speaking the truth. In his mind, his wife needed to face reality, to stop living in her world of dreams, kindness and fantasies.
As the day wore on, the house remained silent and tense. Aveline stayed in the bedroom, her heart aching with the pain of their argument. She longed for the warmth and connection that seemed so far out of reach, for the love she had once hoped to find in Jared.
But as the hours passed, she realized that something had to change. She couldn't continue living like this, trapped in a marriage that brought her nothing but heartache. She needed to find her own strength, to stand up for herself and her happiness.
With a newfound resolve, she wiped away her tears and stood up. She knew that the road ahead would be difficult, but she was determined to fight for the life she deserved, even if it meant confronting Jared and facing the harsh reality of their relationship.
She took a deep breath and left the bedroom, ready to face whatever challenges lay ahead. As she descended the stairs, she vowed to herself that she would no longer let Jared's coldness and indifference define her life. She would find a way to reclaim her happiness, no matter what it took.
When she reached the living room, her husband was already preparing to leave for work. He stood by the door, his briefcase in hand, his expression as cold as ever.
"Jared, wait," she called out, her voice steady.
He turned to face her, his eyes narrowing. "What is it now?"
"We need to talk, again," she said firmly. "Not just about us, but about how you've been treating me."
Jared sighed, exasperated. "What do you want from me, Aveline? Do you expect me to suddenly change overnight? To become someone I'm not?"
"I want you to treat me with respect," she replied, her voice trembling with suppressed anger. "I deserve that much at least."
"Respect?" he laughed bitterly. "You earn respect, Aveline. You don't just get it because you want it."
"I have earned it," she shot back. "I've supported you, stood by you, tried to make this marriage work. And all you've done is push me away and belittle everything I do."
Jared's eyes flashed with anger. "You think you've supported me? You've been a distraction, Aveline. A burden. I have real work to do, responsibilities that actually matter."
Aveline felt her heart break a little more with each word. "I can't believe you think so little of me," she whispered.
"Believe it," he said coldly. "This is the real world, Aveline. Not your fantasy where everything works out perfectly. Grow up !!"
She stood there, stunned into silence, as her husband turned and walked out the door, leaving her standing alone in the empty house. The sound of the door closing echoed through the hall, a final, crushing punctuation to their argument.
Aveline sank to the floor, tears streaming down her face. She had never felt so alone, so utterly rejected. But even in the depths of her despair, a spark of determination burned within her. She would not let Jared's cruelty destroy her anymore. She would find a way to rise above it, to reclaim her life and her happiness.
As she sat there, gathering her strength, she made a silent promise to herself. She would fight for the respect and love she deserved, even if it meant standing up to the man she had once hoped to build a life with. She would no longer be a passive participant in her own life. She would take control and forge her own path, no matter how difficult it might be.
With a deep breath, Aveline wiped away her tears and stood up. She knew that the road ahead would be challenging, but she was ready to face it head-on. She would not let Jared's cold heart define her future. She would find a way to reclaim her happiness and build a life worth living...

Author's note: please comment, like, share that would be so nice ! Thank you !