1

What a beautiful, sunny day!

The aroma of freshly brewed coffee filled the air, mingling with the muted sounds of brewing and the occasional clink of ceramic mugs. It was a good morning in my quaint little coffee shop.

I opened the café five years ago, pouring my heart and soul into every detail—from the rustic wooden tables and vintage light fixtures to the selection of beans used and pastries that lined the counter.

I have been a fan of coffee ever since I can remember. Coffee was more than just a beverage; it was my constant companion. It is my daily ritual that marked the beginning of my day and punctuated moments of creativity and connection. This profound love I have for coffee led me to open my own coffee shop, the Cafe7teen.

I found my calling. My coffee shop was a testament to the power of following one's passion and the impact it can have on a community.  Through my love for coffee, I created a space that was more than just a shop; it was a paradise for coffee lovers, a place where connections were made and moments were savored. This is when passion meets purpose and the result is truly extraordinary.

This morning, I was behind the counter, steaming milk for a latte and chatting with a couple of regulars who had become more like friends over the years. I love this part of my day—the personal connections, the shared smiles, and the sense of community that thrived within these walls.

I saw Agatha, one of my regular customers whom I became friends with. She is a novel writer in her 80s. She came to me at the counter and said, "Good morning, Eloise. How are you today?"

"Good morning, Miss Agatha. I am very delighted to see my favorite customer," I answered her and flashed a warm smile.

"Oh, you sweet," she smiled back, "the regular please."

"A Harmony Bliss and Honey Almond Croissant coming right up," I cheerfully said and then she sat at her usual corner table where she could see the garden. She opens her notebook and ready her pen.

The Harmony Bliss is our signature coffee blend. It is a meticulously crafted coffee blend that combines beans from three distinct regions, creating a balanced and harmonious flavor profile. It appeals to a wide range of coffee enthusiasts, offering a perfect balance of sweetness, acidity, and body, with notes of chocolate, berries, and a hint of nuttiness.

While the Honey Almond Bliss is a decadent, buttery pastry that combines the flakiness of a traditional croissant with a luscious honey-almond filling and a crispy almond topping.

This is the regular and a must order of Agatha. This was her first and always menu whenever she comes by the cafe every morning before she starts her day.

She loved the cozy ambiance of the café, where we knew her order by heart, and the regulars greeted her with friendly nods. Today, however, her focus on her writing was somewhat distracted.

After her order was made, I asked Nicole, one of my staff, to replace me at the counter for a brief moment. I carried the tray that holds the order of Agatha and made my way to her.

"The usual order of Miss Agatha," I said as I approach her.

"Thank you, my dear," she said and continued to tap the pen she was holding to her notebook, as if something was bothering her.

“May I join you?” I asked with a warm voice. She looked up from her notebook, meeting my gaze. She smiled, a sign for me to sit down.

“Is something bothering you, miss?” I asked again.

She just smiled at me again and I had this feeling that she wanted to tell me something but she couldn't.

She, then, held my hands and said, "Thank you, Eloise, for everything you have been to me. Having you as my friend has been one of the best things in my life.” she said with a smile, yet again, but this time, it is kind of sad. It is like she is saying good bye.