6

I could hardly focus as I prepared to close the café for the day. After I received the news about Richard, thoughts of him and his sickness swirled in my mind.

When I had received his heartfelt letter yesterday, tucked into the delivery crate Kate brought, it had both comforted and worried me. I needed to see him, to make sure he was alright with my own eyes.

As the last customer left and the café grew quiet, I quickly cleaned up and locked the door behind.

"Ooohhh, miss, where are we headed to?" Anthony teased me as we close the café.

"Thank you for the early closing time. I will make sure to make the most rest out of it." Nicole said as she yawned and put both of her arms up as if she was stretching.

I, then, grabbed a small basket I had prepared earlier, filled with a thermos of my coffee blend for today as an attempt to make the perfect coffee and a few slices of carrot cake, which Richard loves, and set off towards his family farm.

"Take care, miss Eloise!" Nicole shouted as she waved good bye while I reversed the car.

"Oh, now I know. How slow of me," Anthony slightly slapped his forehead and teased, "Don't be a coward but courageous."

I raised one of my eyebrows at him because I know he will tease me about me going to visit Richard on his sick bed.

"For the perfect blend," he added and my face softened, "and the perfect match!"

I did not hear what he said last as I finally drove headed to Richard's family farm.

The drive to the farm was pleasant, the evening air filled with the scent of blooming flowers and fresh grass. My heart beat a little faster with every step, anticipation mingling with concern. I had visited the farm a few times before but today, though, felt different. Today, I will come to take care of him.

I arrived at the farmhouse and knocked gently on the door. Sir George answered with a warm but surprised smile.

"Hazel, what a lovely surprise! Come in, come in," he said, stepping aside to let me in. "Richard will be so happy to see you. He's been quite miserable all day."

I smiled back, feeling a bit more at ease. "Thank you, sir George. I brought some coffee and cake. I hope that's alright."

Sir George patted my arm. "That's very sweet of you, dear. He's upstairs, resting. Go on up. I'm sure he'll be thrilled to see you."

I made my way upstairs, my heart pounding with each step. I knocked lightly on his door and pushed it open when she heard his faint voice call out.

Richard was lying in bed, propped up by several pillows, looking pale and tired. But his face lit up when he saw me.

"El! You didn't have to come all this way," he said, his voice hoarse but filled with joy.

I crossed the room and set the basket down on his bedside table. "I couldn't just sit at the café knowing you were sick. I wanted to see you and make sure you're alright."

Richard reached out and took my hand, squeezing it gently. "You're the best, Hazel."

I felt a pound on my heart. It was beating so loud. I hope he won't hear.

I smiled at what he said and softly spoke, "I brought you a new blend today and carrot cake. I thought it might cheer you up."

Richard's eyes sparkled with appreciation. "Wow, carrot cake. You know me too well. And a new blend? That sounds perfect. Let's try it."

I poured him a cup of coffee from the thermos and handed it to him, then cut a slice of cake. We sat together, him sipping the coffee and savoring the cake and I am watching him with a sense of relief.

"What is it called?" Richard asked after a sip from the coffee.

"I did not name it yet but this blend features a combination of dark-roasted Arabica beans and a touch of South American Robusta for depth. It is infused with notes of caramelized brown sugar, complemented by hints of toasted hazelnut and a whisper of spice," I answered him and explained what the coffee blend was made of. He just nodded.

"By the way, your letter was beautiful," I said after a while. "It meant a lot to me."

Richard smiled, a bit of color returning to his cheeks. "I'm glad. I am so sorry for breaking my promise. I will definitely make it up to you."

"Just focus on getting well," I said while watching him devour the carrot cake I brought.

We talked for a while longer, the conversation flowing easily despite the circumstances. I shared stories from the café, and he recounted funny memories from his childhood. The room felt warmer, filled with their laughter and the comfort of each other's presence.

As the evening grew darker, I knew I had to leave soon. Then, a knock on the door was heard.

"Richard, are you feeling better now?" A beautiful middle-aged woman came in the room. I guess it is his mom?

"Yes, mom, I think I do," Richard answered and fixed his seating positin.

"Oh, that's good. Wow, you have a visitor," his mom made her way inside and I stood up to greet her. I did not expect to meet his mom at this state. I was about to introduce myself when Richard interruption.

"Yes, ma, meet Eloise, my ---"

"Friend. Good evening, ma'am. It is nice to meet you." I continued and shook hands with her mom. I did not know why I said that. It was a sudden urge but I think it is alright?

"Yes, uh, she's my friend. She's our new client at the farm, the café owner." Richard further explained. His smile was less wider than earlier.

"Oh, I heard of you. Ric---"

"Yes, mom, she is the café owner of my new favorite coffee shop," Richard interfered when his mom was about to say something. I ended up being curious but then the topic was dropped off and his favorite coffee shop?

"Your favorite coffee shop?" I asked him after I turned my head to him and mocked him in his own words. "Last time I checked, you were this arrogant coffee connoisseur who mocked my coffee."

"Haha, let's forget about that. We're okay now, right?" He said with a forced smile then his mom laughed.

"Oh, you lovebirds."

"We're not!"

"We're not!"

"Okay, okay," Richard's mom continues to laugh at us and I am puzzled, "I am Charlotte, by the way. And thank you, Eloise. I knew you would make my son better. I'll leave you two to it, then. Don't hesitate to call if you need anything."

What was that? An awkward silenced engulfed the whole room. Minutes later, I bid farewell to Richard, "I must go now. It is getting late."

I was about to go when Richard held my hand, "Can't you stay a little bit longer?"

My heart was beating again so loud. What is wrong with me?

"I will be back if you are still not okay. If you feel better, feel free to visit the café." I said to him and gently removed his hands on mine. He might hear my heart pound so loud.

"I never got to drive you home. There are so many promises I broke." He said sadly.

"That is fine. If you really want to make it up to me, then get well. We have all the time we need to catch up so do not worry." I assured him and bid good bye.

I also bid good bye to his family who is very warm to me. They even offered to me to stay in for the night but I cannot because I still have a café to run tomorrow.

As I walked back to my car, the night air was cool and crisp, I felt a sense of contentment. Yesterday had started with worry, but it now ended with hope and the promise of tomorrow. I knew that with Richard in my life, even the quietest days could be filled with love and warmth, even if as just friends.