5

I wiped the counter for the third time this morning. My movements are somewhat slow and distracted. The usually bustling café felt eerily quiet without the familiar presence of one person. His absence hung in the air, a constant reminder of how much I had grown to care for him.

Ever since the day I got the deal, Richard always come to the café. He always helps me with things at the café and teaches me on how we can make the perfect blend.

The perfect blend is the goal. But today, it is a bit strange that he is not here. Maybe I am so used to it that I somewhat miss it? Grr, thoughts brush off.

It had been a strange journey tho, from the days when I considered him an annoying customer with his overly specific coffee orders and incessant questions about how I make the blends, to now, when his absence felt like a missing piece of my daily routine. I glanced at the door every few minutes, hoping to see him stroll in with his easy but annoying smile and strangely different kinds of flowers he said he picked on his way when he visits the café.

The bell above the door jingled, pulling me from my thoughts. I looked up, my heart skipping a beat, only to see Misis Thompson, one of the regulars, shuffling in.

“Good morning, Eloise, my dear,” Misis Thompson said with a warm smile. “It’s unusually quiet today, isn’t it?”

I forced a smile. “It is, Misis Thompson. Just one of those days, I suppose.”

Misis Thompson peered at me over the rim of her glasses. “You look like you’ve got something on your mind. Is everything alright?”

I hesitated, then shrugged. “Just missing someone, I guess."

Misis Thompson’s eyes sparkled with understanding. “Ah, young love."

"Oh, no, Misis Thompson. It is not," I brushed off her thoughts but she just held my hand and patted it while she nodded.

"It can be quite the rollercoaster, can’t it? But I’ve always believed that the heart knows its way, even when our minds are full of doubts," she added.

"Oh, Misis Thompson, it is really not like that. Can I take your order?" I switched topics and just get her order. She ordered her usual coffee and then sat at her usual seat where she enjoys reading books she took at the book corner.

I made Misis Thompson’s usual—the Golden Serenity.

The Golden Serenity is a smooth and mellow blend combining the richness of lightly roasted Arabica beans with the gentle, comforting notes of chamomile and a hint of honey. This blend provides a soothing experience, perfect for moments of relaxation and reflection. This blend aims to offer a comforting and soothing coffee experience, perfectly suited for aged women who appreciate a touch of elegance and care in their daily routine.

While making the coffee, my thoughts drifted back to Richard. His family’s coffee bean delivery was scheduled for this morning, but there was no sign of him with the delivery. He even promised that he will deliver the beans himself as it is the first delivery of their farm to the café.

My mind wandered to the last time I saw him, just a day ago. He had been his usual teasing self, making me laugh with stories of his family’s farm and his latest mishaps. We had shared so many stories. But now, the silence was deafening.

As the day wore on, I tried to keep busy, attending to my customers and making sure everything ran smoothly. But I couldn’t shake the feeling that something was wrong. I decided to call Richard, but his phone went straight to voicemail. Worry gnawed at me, making it hard to concentrate.

Around midday, just as I was considering closing the café early, the bell above the door jingled again. I looked up, my heart pounding. It wasn’t Richard, but a young girl, carrying a small crate of coffee beans.

“Hello, how may I help you?” I greeted, trying to mask my disappointment.

"Are you Eloise?" She asked me with her innocent eyes.

"Yes, I am," I answered then she handed me the crate.

I set the crate on the counter, looking a bit uneasy. The young girl  said, “I am Kate, Richard's younger sister. I came in today  to say that he is sorry for not keeping his promise. He’s not feeling well today. He asked me to deliver this instead.”

I looked at the crate and there was a letter above it. And it says,

El,

I hope this letter finds you well, and I’m so sorry for not being able to make it to the café today. I know I promised but I will make sure that I will make it up to you. I woke up feeling under the weather. My mom insisted I stay in bed and rest, which is probably for the best, though it means I couldn’t deliver the coffee beans or see you today. Kate stepped in for me, but I wanted to send you this note to let you know how much I am terribly sorry for today.

I will take it easy and get better quickly so I can visit the café as soon as possible. In the meantime, know that I’m looking forward to the next cup of making the perfect blend together.

Take care, El.

Richard

My concern deepened. “Is he okay? What’s wrong?”

Kate shrugged. “Just a bad cold, I think. He was pretty out of it this morning. I’m sure he’ll be back on his feet in no time.”

I nodded, though my worry didn’t lessen. “Thanks for bringing these by, Kate. Tell him I hope he feels better soon.”

Kate gave me a reassuring smile. “I will, Eloise. He’ll be back to bugging you before you know it.”

As Kate left, I sighed and looked around the café. I busied myself with arranging the new beans and decided to make a special blend for when he returned. Maybe it would be a small gesture, but it was one way to feel connected to him despite his absence.

The rest of the afternoon passed slowly. My thoughts kept drifting to Richard, hoping he was resting and recovering. As I closed up the café for the night, I made a mental note to check on him tomorrow. I couldn’t wait to see his familiar grin and hear his laugh again.

As I turned off the lights and locked the door, I felt a small spark of hope. The day had been quiet, but it had also made her realize just how much Richard had become a part of my life. She smiled to herself, knowing that even in his absence, he was still there with her, in every cup of coffee and in every corner of the café.

I never would've thought that the annoying customer I had and I would create this connection we have right now. I am looking forward to more memories and moments we can share with while we create the perfect blend.